Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/7th Royal Warwickshire Regt March 1918

Rockdoc

My Grandfather's cousin, Thomas Edmund Butlin, was killed on 22nd March, 1918, somewhere near St Quentin in the first phase of the German assault. His body was never recovered and he's commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial. Ruth and I are going to Péronne in a couple of weeks and I'd like to visit the Memorial and see where he fought while we are there. Does anyone know where the Battalion was at this time?

Keith

He is in my Warwicks database - mentioned in the Bham Weekly Post 25.5.18 in their 'Missing Soldiers Bureau' column. Born and lived Minworth. Wife at Summer Lane there. Age 31

War diary..

March 1-6 Holnon Wood

March 7-15 Francilly Selency

March 16-20 Germaine

(all west of St Quentin)

March 21 - marched to Attilly Huts to be a counter-attack bn

Then west of St Quentin Wood - 'marching out strength' 21 officers and 556 OR

March 22 - Moved in the morning to an assembly point at Holnon Wood. Then withdrew and fought a rearguard action back to the Corps Line in a position a 1000 yds north of Pepal Copse, Vaux.

Part of the bn became isolated.

Same day to Matigny. Then ordered to Offy to cross the Somme and occupy the bridgehead there.

Casualties - officers - 4 killed, 10 wounded, 2 wounded and missing, 4 missing

OR - 14 killed, 198 wounded, 276 missing.

(CWGC shows 28 deaths on 21.3 and 22.3)

If you want a follow up I am away until next Monday.

Thanks, Alan. I'll happily take anything you can give me as I don't know much about this part of the War.

Keith

Not quite gone yet - send me a pm early next week with your proper e-mail address and I will send you pdfs of the war diary for this period.,

• 3 years later...

Rockdoc... I live in summer lane, and have a photo of the local church memorial where he is listed. PM me if interested.