Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Church Lad's Brigade (Kings Own Rifles)

Guest Laineyb5164

Guest Laineyb5164

Hello, I am very new to this forum so please forgive me if I make any mistakes. I have been passed a picture from friends in Australia. They have no idea what the picture is about but they do think that one of their relatives may be in the picture. The family name is Ingram and they lived in Colden Common Winchester Hampshire until they emigrated around 1912-1913 to Australia. I have been trying to find out what it represents and think I may have found the answer. It Could be the Church Lad's Brigade? Having studied a book regarding Colden Common I came across a reference to the Brigade and wondered if there is any connection. The only possible people who could have been in this photo are:

Alfred Ingram born 1867

Alfred Harold Ingram born 1892

Walter Henry born 1894

Leslie Ingram born 1907

Norman Ingram born 1908

The information did suggest that this brigade had some attachment to The King's Own Rifles.

Is there any archive or information out there regarding the Brigade and it's members? I would be very grateful of any help.

Many thanks Lainey

post-46140-0-36632900-1314641498.jpg

Lainey

A New Army Battalion of the King's Royal Rifle Corps was raised from the Church Lads Brigade - the 16th (Service) Battalion (Church Lads Brigade). You can download a book about the beginnings of the battalion from here:

http://www.archive.org/details/withclbbattalion00dunc

I'm not sure where you'd find information on the Church Lads Brigade though.

Kind Regards

Colin

Guest Laineyb5164

Lainey

A New Army Battalion of the King's Royal Rifle Corps was raised from the Church Lads Brigade - the 16th (Service) Battalion (Church Lads Brigade). You can download a book about the beginnings of the battalion from here:

http://www.archive.o...battalion00dunc

I'm not sure where you'd find information on the Church Lads Brigade though.

Kind Regards

Colin

Thank you Colin, the information about the book was very interesting.

All the best Lainey

The Church Lads brigade still exists - their website is http://www.clcgb.org.uk/ They do have a historical group who might be able to help you.

Many thanks NigelP for your help, I will contact the historical Group and hope they can help me further.

All the best Lainey

• 3 weeks later...

Company Number 2659 for Colden Common was enrolled 20th November 1907. It was part of the 1st Battalion, Winchester Regiment. The CLB allowed their companies to affiliate to the Government's Cadet Scheme from 1911 and the 1st Bn, Winchester Regt. was recognised under Cadet Regulations on 21st June 1912. The Colden Common CLB was a Cadet company. In 1917 all CLB Cadet companies were affiliated to the KRRC, the Kings Royal Rifle Corps (until 1930 when the recognition was withdrawn by the Government). Any questions? Just ask. Johnny Conn

Picture could be around 1911. Age range for the CLB at this time was 13 to 19 years. The two men wearing Staff Sergeants uniform could be C Pitters and W Barnes. They look to be men who served in the Boer War.