Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Headstone - vs - CWG Info

Numanoid817

At the moment i am making a list of War Graves in the county of Cork in Ireland. While cross referencing the info with The CWG Web Site i have found a slight discrepency in details. The CWG has my man listed as 1/6525 Corporal J. Gleeson RMF but his headstone, which i have photographed says 1/6625 Serjeant J. Gleeson RMF. One of these is obviously wrong!!

Anyone??

post-75833-0-30933200-1314475544.jpg

his medal index card has Cpl. There's also a discrepancy re the number on the gravestone 1/6625 and CWGC database which has 1/6525. Medal index says 6625.

His service record on Ancestry has 6622 with the last 2 crossed out and replaced by a 5, Joseph Gleeson from Tallow, Co Waterford. Enlisted 1900 aged 20. Discharged 17th March 1917 as no longer physically fit for war service. Appinted Cpl 1913. No mention of Sgt.

Mother = Ellen Gleeson, Assistant Matron, District Asylum,. Waterford. Sister =Miss Gleeson c/o Globe Hotel, Waterford. He does not appear to have been married contrary to the CWGC database entry.

I believe that it is the Ministry of Defence who provided the CWGC with casualty information. The CWGC should be asked to go back to their original advice paperwork to check that what they have conforms with what they were advised. If it is their mistake they will correct it. If not, the MoD needs to be advised of the discrepancy in the hope of correction.

From 'The Waterford War Dead'

GLEESON, JOSEPH. Rank: Corporal. Regiment or Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers. Unit: 3rd Battalion. Date of Death: 18-February-1919. Service No: 1/6525. Supplementary information; Husband E E. Gleeson, of District Asylum, Waterford. He was previously wounded at the Dardanelles in June 1915 and spent time in a hospital in Coventry.

Waterford News. 1915.

Off to the front.

Corporal Joseph P Gleeson (1st Royal Munster Fusiliers) Lismore, a correspondent to this paper fifteen years ago, paid us a visit on his way home to Lismore from Rangoon, Punjab, previous to his going to the front.

Munster Express. August, 1915.

The War.

We are sorry to learn that Private Ml Quinlan and Matthew Kavanagh, both Lismore men, attached to the R. I. Regiment, are wounded and in hospital. The latter, who is son of Mrs Kavanagh, nurse, Chapel Street, was wounded early in the war and a shome for some months, when he was again sent out. We trust the wounds are not of a serious nature. Sergeant Joseph Gleeson, of the Royal Munster Fusiliers, who was wounded at the Dardanelles, is presently a patient in Coventry. Sapper J. J. Maher, of the Royal Engineers, was home for a brief holiday and looked in the pink. His namesake, James J. Maher, of Cappoquin Post Office, has joined the P. O. Rifles.

(Michael Quinlan, Matthew Kavanagh, J. J. Maher and James J Maher survived. See also article attached to CROWE, FRANCIS GERALD. Author)

Grave or Memorial Reference: E. North 19. 7. Cemetery: Cork (St Finbar’s) Cemetery in Cork.

On the basis of probability from the evidence noted above, 6625 is most likely the correct number (don't bother about the sergeant bit too much - a change of rank before the records were changed is common). The record in Waterford War Dead is not a safe source. As Jim suggest, take the MIC info to CWGC and ask for a re-check.

The online CWGC records were scanned in from the original typescript, there are errors and 5 for 6 is one of the most likely. Just use the contact facility on the website and ask them to check against the original register.

I have some photos of the RMF before they left Coventry, I will check the names just in case