Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ok you! cheap motel type thingys

trenchwalker

ok you lot my whole new of my school trip has spread

have in total 3 trips planned

the first is for 5 teachers on the somme so we got the F1 a peronne and the sprit of edan in wipers thats ok

the seconds for the 36 school kids are camping in the place near kemmel

the next one is for 14 church persons we have the F1 a peronne

but is there any other type cheap motel near ypre or the franco flem border

does F1 have a web site?

many thanks mart

Hi Martin

Formule Un is in the Accor hotel chain. To locate one, try

http://www.express-hotel.net/

or Accor at http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhotels/index.html

Sorry, it's in French. :P

There are also the places with rooms like kitchen cabinets in the Envergure (eg Campanile) chain, Premiere Classe.

http://www.envergure.fr/index.html

The three on the right of the bar of icons are the cheap end.

Please, please, take care that you don't end up with responsibilty for the insurance of dozens of hormonal adolescents let loose in Europe. Please get advice on that aspect. I'd hate things to go wrong for you.

Gwyn

Guest Pete Wood

Trenchie, some friends and I used to stay in these motels, quite often, on classic car events. Because you are booking a few rooms, on more than one occassion, you should be able to negotiate an even better deal than the 'daily rate.'

You'll need to speak to the head office and have all the dates to hand, plus the exact number of rooms (and the specification).

The same applies with the ferry. If you are taking more than one vehicle, and on more than one occassion, you can do a 'deal.'

Good luck!

Please, please, take care that you don't end up with responsibilty for the insurance of dozens of hormonal adolescents let loose in Europe. Please get advice on that aspect. I'd hate things to go wrong for you.

Gwyn

This is a very good point.

Are you organising the trip as well as leading it and are they paying you? If so, you are potentially liable, and liability insurance doesn't come cheap... expect to pay thousands of pounds per year.

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but there are certainly realities involved in the travel industry which many newcomers may not be aware of.

My advise to you is let the groups themselves organise the trip and employ you as an 'on site guide' - that way it isn't 'your' trip.

If you want to do your own trips, then take legal advice. The fact that you are under 18 might also exclude you from any insurance in this field.

A very close friend of mine is a teacher and has in recent years organised trips etc both in the UK and abroad.

On returning from a trip he was on this year he said 'never again'. The legal hassles, health & safety, risk assessments etc etc and constantly watching his back and others removes any enjoyment from teaching the kids, learning yourself and enjoying the place you have gone to visit.

I can only echo Gwyn & Pauls comments. Do not become involved in this side. Simply enthuse the topic those their have come to experience.

Ryan

Guest Simon Bull

My wife is a very dedicated teacher who is finding the increasing workload associated with health and safety and risk assessments on school trips more and more onerous.

Eg a recent trip to a Northampton Museum (five miles from school) frequently visited by the general public required a risk assessment and advance visit by her.

These trips only continue these days because teachers are prepared to give up more and more of their own time to comply with these ridiculously over strict regulations. Why they bother given the derisory pay for teachers these days and the contempt with which they are treated by many pupils and their parents I do not know!

I do agree with the advice given here - you should not contemplate organising this sort of thing without insurance, or an understanding of your extensive duties and liabilities under the Package Tour Regulations (which you will almost certainly come within if you are organising tours of this nature).

Simon Bull

dont worry the school orginised it all im just there to talk to them nothing to orginise just tell the driver were to go

Passing on some info for teachers.

I have heard many teachers berating the risk assement insurance etc etc problems and how much time and effort it takes. One teacher that I have met from the north east has solved this problem by asking the coach hire company to do it for him. I must stress this was just a coach hire company and they did not organise the tour, but because the school used them often for many different trips they where happy to take the legal hassles on to help cement customer loyaty between them and the school. Maybe this would help teachers lessen the burden if they can find other companies who are willing to do the same.

Brum

maybe you can check in a yought hostel like the Lotegat were you stayed with the opening weekend.

There are a lot of these in the Salient and the Heuvelland. ;)