Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NZ Service Numbers help please

100nz

I am researching names on the Queenstown memorial of which several have service numbers that are almost sequential such 8/4, 8/10, 8/16, 8/19, 8/20. Am I correct in assuming they volunteered at the same time and place. I understand that the 8 is for Otago Rifles.

Thanks Helen Vail

Hi Helen, this confirms the service number prefix:-

"Extracted from "Orders, Decorations and Medals awarded to New Zealanders - an illustrated guide for collectors" by Geoffrey P. Oldham and Brett Delahunt. 1/ Samoan Advance Force 2/ Royal New Zealand Artillery 3/ New Zealand Medical Corps 4/ New Zealand Engineers 5/ New Zealand Army Service Corps 6/ Canterbury Infantry 7/ Canterbury Mounted Rifles 8/ Otago Rifles 9/ Otago Mounted Rifles 10/ ."..

If you enter the soldiers names into the following site it may confirm their enlistment details:-

http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/

Regards, Tom

Hi Helen

the numbering was sequential, and these would have been the first to enlist so it would be a good guess that they all enlisted at the same place and time, being such early numbers.

infact you could probably find out where by spending a bit of time in paperspast web site and finding out if there is any mention of the first enlistments for the Otago rifles being at such and such place.

roger

I know absolutely nothing about NZ forces, but in the UK, my personal belief is that the numbers were assigned back at the administrative base, not the recruiting office. (Grateful for any comments on that) Therefore, if the same principles apply, those recruitment papers came across the clerk's desk at roughly the same time, in that order. That probably suggests they were recruited at the same time, to within a few days (allow time for the papers to get in from the recruiting offices?). Depending on how big an area the Otago Rifles recruited from, that might mean anything or nothing about where the individuals signed up.

(I've seen adjacent numbers in the Cheshire Regiment's 7th Battalion that, from their home addresses, I refuse point blank to believe were standing next to one another in the queue. I've also seen a statement in another battalion's history that all soldiers in a period were recruited through one place, when the record for my guy shows him to have signed up miles away.)

Hi Helen

you may well have already looked on the cenotaph database but that will give you next of kin, transport, embarkation date Date death ect Those men would have all been in the Main Body and among the first in at Gallipoli. I would strongly suspect they would have enlisted within hours if not days of each other.

the link is

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/130/cenotaph-database

Simon

Hi Helen

I am not sure if AdrianBruce is correct, but what Adrian says has logic in it.

the case maybe that at different times and places different situations arose, i guess in the case of consription that would be the case for sure

these numbers that you refer to are very early volunteer numbers, so i imagine that they enlisted together as was the case with many brothers who enlisted together and had matching numbers.

I know of a number of cases like this, for instance the NZ Holtz brothers who are buried at motor car corner. they definatley signed up together.

I am just heading off to work but, i have a number of other cases, one that springs to mind is a set of 3 or 4 cousins who all have matching numbers. i will try and hunt this out tonight.

roger