Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harwich. Your Memories

DEL1408

Im Looking For Your Memories & Photos Of Time Spent In Harwich During The War Years,

Either Based At The Transit Camp In Dovercourt,Or On The Submarines..Or Any Memory Of Time Spent In The Towns

The Info Will Be Used For The Local Harwich & Dovercourt Website.

So Please Feel To Share Your Memories

My Grandfather Served On Submarines Based In Harwich, So Have A Few Photos

But Would Welcome Any More Info/Stories You Or Your Relatives Might Want To Share

Hi my Great Uncle served in the Submarine Service based at sometime during his service onboard the 'H5' I believe this sub was based at Harwich and or Yarmouth, he was awarded the DSM in 1916 whilst aboard the sub that was noted to have attacked and disabled/sunk the german sub 'U51'

I would be very interested if you have any pictures notes on the 'H5' or any of the subs that made up the Sub Flotillas based in and around Harwich.

Hi my Great Uncle served in the Submarine Service based at sometime during his service onboard the 'H5' I believe this sub was based at Harwich and or Yarmouth, he was awarded the DSM in 1916 whilst aboard the sub that was noted to have attacked and disabled/sunk the german sub 'U51'

I would be very interested if you have any pictures notes on the 'H5' or any of the subs that made up the Sub Flotillas based in and around Harwich.

Hi Thanks For Info

I Have a few pics of subs based in harwich i will see if i have any of the h class

are there any other subs that yr gt uncle served on? do u have a service record

take a look at the website

www.harwichanddovercourt.co.uk

i will revert with any info i find

found this no sure if u have

H5

(H5)Laid Down:11-01-1915Launched:01-04-1915Completed:??-??-????Builder:Vickers (Montreal, Canada)Build Group:H Grp1 Fate:2 March 1918 - Rammed in error in Irish Sea by SS Rutherglen

Commissioning officers were Lieut. Cromwell H. Varley, RN - CO, Lieut F. Busbridge, RN - 1st Lieut.and A/Lt.Wm. Lowell Thompson, RNVR, a Canadian from Ucluelet, BC. Events02-03-1918:the steamer Rutherglen sighted a submarine, which crossed its bows at considerable speed. Believing the submarine to be a U-boat Rutherglen rammed the vessel. Cries were heard in the water and a strong smell of petrol was also present. Nothing more was heard from H5 and it is believed that she was Rutherglen’s victim.

Hi Steve1408

Yes I do have my Gt Uncles Service Record although it is a bit difficult to read all of it, I have not at the present moment got any more Sub's noted that he served on, I was notified by the RN Submarine Museum that he started service on Sub's in 1908 and again in 1915. Names of the boats he served on are not yet sorted.

I know most of the info you have supplied although I did not know the names of the Commissioning Names

Oh well time to start trying to decifer the record again.

Steve (SomersetCricketer)

Irelevantly my only memory of Harwich was a sign which read "Harwich for the Continent", underwhich some wag had added "And Frinton for the Incontinent"

best regards

Daviod

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve

I Sent My Grandfathers service record to one of the forums will have to check and they re did it in a text document,looks really good

the barrow in furness website is pretty good for facts/photos and the forum

i will find the details for u

rgds

Hi Steve1408

Yes I do have my Gt Uncles Service Record although it is a bit difficult to read all of it, I have not at the present moment got any more Sub's noted that he served on, I was notified by the RN Submarine Museum that he started service on Sub's in 1908 and again in 1915. Names of the boats he served on are not yet sorted.

I know most of the info you have supplied although I did not know the names of the Commissioning Names

Oh well time to start trying to decifer the record again.

Steve (SomersetCricketer)

• 5 months later...

Hi Steve

I Sent My Grandfathers service record to one of the forums will have to check and they re did it in a text document,looks really good

the barrow in furness website is pretty good for facts/photos and the forum

i will find the details for u

rgds

Hi Steve

Did you ever get round to sorting this idea of yours out?

Regards

Steve

Hello Steve - what was your Grandfathers name ?? May be able to help with his record.

Sadsac

I had the pleasure of passing through Harwich via Parkstone Quay a few times in the mid 50s to board the Empire Wansbeck and Empire Parkstone (both rumoured to have sunk and been refloated) en route to Hook of Holland and BAOR. I only remember a long jetty stretching into a cold, dull, grey misty sea. I did once spend a day or two at the Transit Camp (the boat was full) and have only two memories - a row of toilets without doors and bunk beds with springs but no mattresses or pillows. It wasn`t 5 star accomodation.