Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Evan William Evans, N Special Coy RE

Harry20

Acting Corporal Evans was killed on the same day as my relative 169506 L/Cpl H S Watson , N Special Coy RE. Both are buried in Steenkerke Belgian Military Cemetery, Belgium.

Evans and my relative were posthumously awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre for action at Dixmude on 28 October 1917. Around this time Evans had lost a younger brother kia.They were from a large family with a widowed father from a hill farm in Wales.

I am trying to build a picture of my relative's time on the Western Front and would be pleased to hear from anyone with any furrther info on Acting Corporal Evans.

thanks

Cowgate

Thank you Hywyn

I had already seen the Dolgellau Roll of Honour site, but appreciate the flag-up.

Thanks for the reference to the farm - good to put a location to a name - how different a landscape to that they must have encountered on the western front.

Unfortunatley I am having less luck getting details of Evan and Hugh's family following the tag you suggest - the closest I have got is Evans Brothers, Livestock Farmers who are lsited at Hafod Oer - would you know them and if so are they direct descendnats of the brothers family?

Cowgate

His brother was Hugh Trebor Evans 204457 killed with 16th RWF on 19 9 1917.

See

http://www.roll-of-h.../Dolgellau.html

Note: Name should read Hugh Trebor Evans and address should read Hafodoer.

If you googlemaps Hafodoer, Brithdir you'll see the location.

Hugh Trebor Evans in 1901 should bring up the whole family.

Hywyn

Sorry I meant in 1901 Census on Ancestry.

Hugh Trebor has papers on Ancestry. There is a 'family ' form on it. His two eldest brothers appear to be in South Africa.

I should imagine the Livestock Farmers are descendant. I'm not from that area though.

Hywyn

Hywyn

many thanks for the helpful lead, I'll look forward to following that up shortly

sincerely

Cowgate

Sorry I meant in 1901 Census on Ancestry.

Hugh Trebor has papers on Ancestry. There is a 'family ' form on it. His two eldest brothers appear to be in South Africa.

I should imagine the Livestock Farmers are descendant. I'm not from that area though.

Hywyn