Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Addison , East Surrey regt.

tony paley

When I left school in 1955 I was a trainee in a factory at Walton on Thames. My instructor was a man called George Addison. He had served in a Regular Battalion of the local East Surrey Regiment. I intended to enlist when old enough and he would entertain me with stories of his own WW1 experience, including the fact that he had been captured. the only information I have is that he may well have enlisted just before the war, not sure about that, and he was from Walton on Thames area in Surrey. I would be intersted to at least have some idea what Battalion he served with so I can put some geography to the experiences he related to me.

Tony P

When I left school in 1955 I was a trainee in a factory at Walton on Thames. My instructor was a man called George Addison. He had served in a Regular Battalion of the local East Surrey Regiment. I intended to enlist when old enough and he would entertain me with stories of his own WW1 experience, including the fact that he had been captured. the only information I have is that he may well have enlisted just before the war, not sure about that, and he was from Walton on Thames area in Surrey. I would be intersted to at least have some idea what Battalion he served with so I can put some geography to the experiences he related to me.

Tony P

There only appears to be 1 George Addison with a Medal Index Card for the East Surrey's.

George F Addison (364654) 7th Bn

Born: Surbiton, Surrey

Attested: 7th October 1914

Attestation place: Weybridge

Entered theatre of war, France: 28th July 1915.

There only appears to be 1 George Addison with a Medal Index Card for the East Surrey's.

George F Addison (364654) 7th Bn

Born: Surbiton, Surrey

Attested: 7th October 1914

Attestation place: Weybridge

Entered theatre of war, France: 28th July 1915.

Many thanks jotsmee. I think this is my man , clearly not a regular but I can check the diaries forthe 7th Battalion. Weybridge is close to Walton , and the age is about right. many thanks.

tony P

There may be more details in the Surrey recruitment registers for him. I'll try to check

The recruitment registers vol 1 p 106 have Geo F Addison, born Surbiton. Attested 7 October 1914, Weybridge. 22yrs 8 months, 5'6", 36.5" chest with 2.5" expansion, Fresh complexion, brown hair, brown eyes. Gardener prior to enlistment.

David,

Many thanks , sounds like a positive. Height and colour of eyes etc. He was probably captured at Loos when serving with the 7th Battalion.

tony P

I'm puzzled by this man's number - 36454 - and have posted separately on this on my blog. It doesn't fit the typical number patterns you might expect to see for the East Surrey Regiment in 1914 and I have to say that my further research into this number, and others like it, has proven to be (not for the first time) inconclusive.

Paul

Paul, have you seen the other current thread about an East Surrey man, William Eyre? His number seemed a bit odd too. As I note above, this man appears in the Surrey recruitment registers, which would imply he enlisted within the regimental district. It would be worth looking through the registers for the other men you've identified (I think they're now on FindMyPast, or the CD is under a tenner)

Thanks David. No I hadn't read the other thread but will do so now. I did check the names against the Surrey Recruitment Registers but didn't find any matches apart from George which you had identified.