Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

149 Artillery Brigade

David Shackleton

I am trying to obtain as much information as possible regarding the 149 Artillery Brigade (RHA) from March 1015 to March 1919. Is it possible to access the Brigade Diaries and if so who should one contact and where? I have seen an extract for the hectic period from March 1918 to April 1918 so presumably there are diaries for the rest of WW1?

I have a certain amount of information and would like to visit Belgium later this year and retrace the route my grandfather took. He was with the brigade from March 1915 and was fortunate enough to survive unscathed (physically at least). Also are there any other brigade records that are accessible? His name was John Shackleton.

Shackco

The War Diary is at Kew under WO95/2321 which runs from the unit's arrival in France with 30 Division in Nov 1915 and through to Apr 1919. It is not yet digital so needs to be read in situ,unless you can find someone who has copied it all,which would be a labour of love!

The unit was Royal Field Artillery and you will see it's main "appointments" here on the page from the Long Long Trail at top left of this page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/30div.htm

Sotonmate

Shackco

The War Diary is at Kew under WO95/2321 which runs from the unit's arrival in France with 30 Division in Nov 1915 and through to Apr 1919. It is not yet digital so needs to be read in situ,unless you can find someone who has copied it all,which would be a labour of love!

The unit was Royal Field Artillery and you will see it's main "appointments" here on the page from the Long Long Trail at top left of this page:

Sotonmate

Shackco

Sotonmate

Dear SotonmateMany thanks. I have been in touch with Kew and it might now be available as a pdf. The PRO computer system is down but should be up and running by Thursday.

Price is per page.

Its amazing what info is available. My Grandfather was in A Battery and in a Lytham news report of tournament held before they left for France, A Battery won the tug of war.

My father found a picture in a book of them "near the front" pulling a gun from the mud near Zilliebeke in Aug 1917. It is clearly posed and I found the photo taken just before in a contemporary magazine at the Manchesters Museum in Ashton.

I can E-mail a copy if you wish.

Best regards

Shackco