Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Dirty Bucket Camp'

pramsden

Hello, from a new member

Does anyone know of 'Dirty Bucket Camp', somewhere around Ypres? According to CWGC write-up on Gwalia Cemetery, 14 men of the 9th Lancs Fusiliers who were killed in a German air raid on the camp on 4 Sep 1917 are buried there. One of them is probably 37354 Pte John Crowder, who is one of a number of men from my home town - Macclesfield - whom I'm researching. Gwalia Cemetery is 8.5k west of Ypres.

Any information gratefully received.

Peter

Welcome

His family are listed as from Huddersfield.

Dirty Bucket Camp was fairly close to the cemetery. I have a map somewhere and if not beaten to it, will post it for you.

Steve M

Steve

Thanks - a map would be interesting. Any indication of what type of camp it was? A troop holding area or something more significant?

Not Huddersfield, it's Hurdsfield, which is an area (originally a township) of Macclesfield. It's a parish also (church built in 1839) and I'm researching the 13 men of the parish who died in the Great War. Includes a 2Lt in the RAF - George Grimshaw - who died 1918 and is buried in the town cemetery - a story still to be researched!

Peter

Camp shown here on this map - courtesy of TNA Trench Map CD from N and M Press.

Roger

post-42671-0-30527500-1313788189.jpg

Roger & Steve

Thanks for the info. Assume DB Camp was somewhere west of Ypres. Does the TNA/N&M Press CD have a gazeteer or any sort of index, or do you need to visually search for locations such as this?

Peter

Peter

I have compiled a Gazetteer of the Western Front and my entry is as follows

Locarion Name: Dirty Bucket Camp. Map Sheet 28NW1. Map Sheet Name: Elverdinghe. Position Lat. Long. 50deg 52.039"N 2deg. 46.876"E Map Square A30

John

Roger & Steve

Does the TNA/N&M Press CD have a gazeteer or any sort of index, or do you need to visually search for locations such as this?

Peter

Peter

You can search by trench and/or place name.

Roger

gwalia cem on the road from elverdinge to poperinge, closer to pops then to elverdinge

dirty bucket little road (hospitaalstraat and then st pietersstraat) that brings you into vlamertinge, sorry no maps on this pc

but the camp was in the wood( still there) and boundries of villages are sometimes strange they can go straight through te wood, and where was he killed in that camp, that is a good question?

kind regards

sabine

links I can give, it is flemish but look at the maps

http://inventaris.vioe.be/woi/relict/761

http://inventaris.vioe.be/woi/relict/863

regards

sabine

The Inn named "Vuile Seule" was the origine of the camps inside the woods; "Dirty Bucket Camp";

http://inventaris.vioe.be/dibe/relict/30696

http://ypres1917.3.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=115

To my knowledge they were camps to "rest" in those woods.

And surrounded by dumps and other logistic facilities. And field ambulances.

And for example Hagle Farm was an ammo dump.

Please read also:

http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/flanders/behlines.html

http://www.ww1wargraves.co.uk/ww1_cemeteries/hagle_dump_explosion.asp

Kind regards,

Joris

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter

I am also researching Macclesfield's fallen from the Great War.

I'm trying to put together a website in time for the 2014 Centennial but I must admit, it's a mammoth task!

Any information you can supply would be greatly appreciated and would be acknowledged.

If I can be of assistance please ask

kind regards

Steve

Hello, from a new member

Does anyone know of 'Dirty Bucket Camp', somewhere around Ypres? According to CWGC write-up on Gwalia Cemetery, 14 men of the 9th Lancs Fusiliers who were killed in a German air raid on the camp on 4 Sep 1917 are buried there. One of them is probably 37354 Pte John Crowder, who is one of a number of men from my home town - Macclesfield - whom I'm researching. Gwalia Cemetery is 8.5k west of Ypres.

Peter

The Search engine (top right) returns many threads which include Dirty Bucket Camp, including this thread.

Hi Peter

Me again!

Following on from your post...

Are you sure that Dirty Bucket Camp is the area Pte. John C Crowder was killed in?

The Belgian website poelcapelle-area14-18.be, has the following report on the 9th Lancashire Fusiliers;

The next big phase of the Third Battle of Ypres took place on 4th October, 1917, in the shape of a wide attack which made the most progress near Broodseinde, whence it took its name. Towards the extreme left of the frontage of attack, the 9th Battalion (Major 9th Bn. J. Milnes) took part in what was destined to be its last fight, though it did not know it at the time. After its action near Langemarck on 16th August it had spent the rest of the month in finding working parties in the forward area. September began unluckily, for at 4.30 a.m. on the 4th a German aeroplane, perhaps returning from a raid with some spare bombs and seeing the glow of the fires with which breakfasts were being cooked for an early start, dropped six bombs in the battalion's lines, killed 16 men and wounded 71. The month was devoted to very thorough training in an area behind the line. Detailed rehearsals of the forthcoming operations were performed on a training ground on which the battlefield had been laid out to scale, conspicuous features being labelled with their names. Plans were formed and practised for the assault and capture of all known German strong points in the line of attack. Sand models of the terrain were also made and inspected by all ranks, who became act-perfect in their parts. On 1st October the battalion moved forward to Dirty Bucket Camp, Brandhoek. Next day battalion headquarters, "W" and "X" Companies advanced to the canal bank north of Ypres, "Y" Company going to Murat Shelters near Brielen. During the night of 2nd/3rd October, "W" and "X" Companies relieved the 9th West Yorkshire Regiment and the 6th York and Lancaster Regiment in the line south-west of Poelcappelle, with "Y" Company in support at Maison Bulgare (St-Julien), just east of the Hanebeek stream. Battalion headquarters went to Bulow Farm, south-east of Langemarck, and "Z" Company stepped up to Murat Shelters (Langamark).

It may be that the Battalion utilised Dirty Bucket Camp again on 1st October, but the way the report reads suggests it may not be the area where the bombing took place...

Please let me know what you think

cheers

Steve

Hello, from a new member

Peter

• 3 months later...

And me again...

I recently read an article that described the reason why the Dirty Backet got it's name...

Apparently, it got it's name from the fact that the German artillery hit the base latrines.

You'll sleep better knowing that!

steve

Hi Peter

Me again!

Following on from your post...

Are you sure that Dirty Bucket Camp is the area Pte. John C Crowder was killed in?

The Belgian website poelcapelle-area14-18.be, has the following report on the 9th Lancashire Fusiliers;

The next big phase of the Third Battle of Ypres took place on 4th October, 1917, in the shape of a wide attack which made the most progress near Broodseinde, whence it took its name. Towards the extreme left of the frontage of attack, the 9th Battalion (Major 9th Bn. J. Milnes) took part in what was destined to be its last fight, though it did not know it at the time. After its action near Langemarck on 16th August it had spent the rest of the month in finding working parties in the forward area. September began unluckily, for at 4.30 a.m. on the 4th a German aeroplane, perhaps returning from a raid with some spare bombs and seeing the glow of the fires with which breakfasts were being cooked for an early start, dropped six bombs in the battalion's lines, killed 16 men and wounded 71. The month was devoted to very thorough training in an area behind the line. Detailed rehearsals of the forthcoming operations were performed on a training ground on which the battlefield had been laid out to scale, conspicuous features being labelled with their names. Plans were formed and practised for the assault and capture of all known German strong points in the line of attack. Sand models of the terrain were also made and inspected by all ranks, who became act-perfect in their parts. On 1st October the battalion moved forward to Dirty Bucket Camp, Brandhoek. Next day battalion headquarters, "W" and "X" Companies advanced to the canal bank north of Ypres, "Y" Company going to Murat Shelters near Brielen. During the night of 2nd/3rd October, "W" and "X" Companies relieved the 9th West Yorkshire Regiment and the 6th York and Lancaster Regiment in the line south-west of Poelcappelle, with "Y" Company in support at Maison Bulgare (St-Julien), just east of the Hanebeek stream. Battalion headquarters went to Bulow Farm, south-east of Langemarck, and "Z" Company stepped up to Murat Shelters (Langamark).

It may be that the Battalion utilised Dirty Bucket Camp again on 1st October, but the way the report reads suggests it may not be the area where the bombing took place...

Please let me know what you think

cheers

Steve