Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.S. Laurentic

abbrover

My good friend, Peter Threlfall, has been researching the sinking of H.M.S. Laurentic since 1999 and has accumulated a lot of biographical information on crew members, as well as photographs and information on the ship and groups of medals of crew members. He would be interested in hearing from anyone who may have had relatives on board or has any information on the ship.

Thanks

Judith

Have you seen the book "we own the laurentic" by Jack Scoltock and ray Cossum ISBN 0948154527 published by impact coleraine 2000. While the book is mainly about purchase of and diving on the wreck there is much background information. There is a memorial to the victims where many are buried at Buncrana. Others are buried at Rathlin island and perhaps elsewhere.

Thank you very much for replying so quickly. Peter is aware of this book and has details of the burials at Buncrana.

Thanks again

Judith

I suppose that he also knows that one of the ships guns was recovered and is now at Downings? I was there a few weeks ago and posted pictures on another thread.

Regards

IanC

Thank you Ian, I saw one post that mentioned the gun but I haven't seen your pictures, can you tell me exactly where they are as I'm having trouble finding them.

Thanks again

Judith

Hi Judith

Been away so only just seen your post.

The photo's are in a thread entitled 'HMNS Laurentic, Memorial Service 26 January' which is in the Ships & Navies section.

Regards

IanC

• 4 months later...

Hi Judith,

I am researching my family tree and find that my grandfather was a member of the crew on the Laurentic and one of those who died.

I would be most interested to see any photos of the crew he may have.

Regards

Margaret

My good friend, Peter Threlfall, has been researching the sinking of H.M.S. Laurentic since 1999 and has accumulated a lot of biographical information on crew members, as well as photographs and information on the ship and groups of medals of crew members. He would be interested in hearing from anyone who may have had relatives on board or has any information on the ship.

Thanks

Judith

Hello Judith, here awards to personnel for saving of lives on HMS LAURENTIC - your friend Peter may already have, but `in case' !!

WHITFIELD John N/E Lt. RNR 84S079 H.M.T. Sethon

Rear Admiral Buncrana 06.04.18 Gazetted

Auxiliary Patrols 01.01.17 - 31.01.17 M in D

He has rendered very reliable services. On the 25th January, 1917, during very heavy weather and under very difficult circumstances, he saved lives from the sinkng H.M.S. Laurentic.

On the 2nd October, 1917, he successfully towed H.M.S. Brisk after she had been mined. He has, on two different occasions, discovered minefields in this area. He has also been instrumental in bringing in over 300 survivors from torpedoed ships. In October, 1914, he extinguished a fire on, and scuttled the German S.A. "Santa Caterina".

Have more such if required.

Sadsac

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Margaret,

Can you please send me any details you may have on your relative, and I will see what I have.

Many thanks,

Peter

Hi Judith,

I am researching my family tree and find that my grandfather was a member of the crew on the Laurentic and one of those who died.

I would be most interested to see any photos of the crew he may have.

Regards

Margaret

Hello Sadsac,

Many thanks for the info on Lt. Whitfield, RNR - very interesting

Peter.

Hello Judith, here awards to personnel for saving of lives on HMS LAURENTIC - your friend Peter may already have, but `in case' !!

He has rendered very reliable services. On the 25th January, 1917, during very heavy weather and under very difficult circumstances, he saved lives from the sinkng H.M.S. Laurentic.

On the 2nd October, 1917, he successfully towed H.M.S. Brisk after she had been mined. He has, on two different occasions, discovered minefields in this area. He has also been instrumental in bringing in over 300 survivors from torpedoed ships. In October, 1914, he extinguished a fire on, and scuttled the German S.A. "Santa Caterina".

Sadsac

Hello Sadsac,

Many thanks for the info on Lt. Whitfield, RNR - very interesting

Peter.

Sadsac

• 2 years later...
Guest laurentic17

Hi Judith

i have just joined and have a connection with the Laurentic as my Grandmother's brother was in the Royal Navy and lost his life on that fatal day 25th Jan 1917. how can i get in touch with Peter Threifall as six men from my home town was on the Laurentic four lost their lives and two survived and i have all their details. My daughter represented the family last year and also a couple of weeks ago in Buncrana Co Donegal for a wreath laying cermony.I dont seem to be able to find the link to post photos perhaps some one could let me know thank you

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's good news. Does the legislation apply to Irish waters, the Laurentic site is two miles out from the mouth of Logh Swilly, Donegal, Ireland?

All the best,

Jack

• 8 months later...
On 8/18/2011 at 19:20, abbrover said:

Thanks

Judith

Hi Judith, I'm helping the Ulster Canada Initiative with their Laurentic project and would love to be able to contact Peter Threlfall.  I've come across his name a few time while I've been doing my research and have been very interested in his views.   The Ulster Canada Initiative has been commemorating this event for the past ten years and has recently launched a website (still at an early stage), an exhibition "Letters from the Laurentic" and video "wine Dark Sea" 

In the website we have attempted to expand on the few details provided on the existing memorials to give a better understanding of the lives of those who died. By drawing together information from a variety of sources – from newspaper archives, military service records, census returns, and where possible personal family archives and oral history – we have tried to build portraits, however fragmentary, of the civilian lives of these men. These portraits vary in depth, but can perhaps still teach us something of this generation of men and how this event affected their loved ones.

Currently Donny McNeill, the driving force behind the project, is working on the creation of a permanent physical memorial to all of the men who lost their lives in this tragedy. 

Here are links to the video etc. 

https://www.facebook.com/LaurenticMemorial/

https://laurenticmemorial.com/