Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William James Saich

Jan Helm

William James Saich - my great uncle - died on 10th October 1918 and is buried in the Naves Communal Cemetry Extension near Cambrai. He was a driver and only 19 years of age. I visited the cemetry earlier this year but only a very little, general information is available there. One thing which really struck me; he is one of five drivers, all buried together, who died on the same day. Is that just coincidence, or is there a story here - one of my cousins remembers being told that he died trying to protect the horses.

I would greatly appreciate any information anyone has surrounding the events of that time and if someone has the actual War Diary I would be very pleased to hear from them.

Name: William James Saich

Birth Place: Cheshunt, Herts

Death Date: 10 Oct 1918

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Mill Hill, Middx.

Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery

Number: 207385

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Welcome to the forum Jan51,

DRIVERS - 602096 J McClure, 68256 Arthur E Morgan, 13992 George Marr, 105202 John Riley and 207385 William Saich all served with 134th Bty, 32nd Bde, 4th Div. They lay buried side by side in graves I. B.13 - I.B.17 McClure doesn't appear on SDGW but the remainder of the group are all listed as KiA but I sure that McClure would have met with the same.

With your comment about 'died protecting the horses' it would suggest that these 5 mates were caught by a shell in the horse lines which were probably not too far from the guns at this fluid stage of the war. The war diary for the brigade may hold some detail surrounding this incident and can be found at the National Archives in WO 95/1467 sadly this diary isn't available online and can only be viewed at the NA.

The CWGC details for Naves CCE tell us that these 5 graves were brought in post Armistice from the concentration of graves from smaller cemeteries and battlefield graves. It's nice to know that they were all buried side by side once again. It may be worth contacting the CWGC regarding a previous burial site for your Great Uncle William.

cheers, Jon

Welcome to the forum Jan51,

DRIVERS - 602096 J McClure, 68256 Arthur E Morgan, 13992 George Marr, 105202 John Riley and 207385 William Saich all served with 134th Bty, 32nd Bde, 4th Div. They lay buried side by side in graves I. B.13 - I.B.17 McClure doesn't appear on SDGW but the remainder of the group are all listed as KiA but I sure that McClure would have met with the same.

With your comment about 'died protecting the horses' it would suggest that these 5 mates were caught by a shell in the horse lines which were probably not too far from the guns at this fluid stage of the war. The war diary for the brigade may hold some detail surrounding this incident and can be found at the National Archives in WO 95/1467 sadly this diary isn't available online and can only be viewed at the NA.

The CWGC details for Naves CCE tell us that these 5 graves were brought in post Armistice from the concentration of graves from smaller cemeteries and battlefield graves. It's nice to know that they were all buried side by side once again. It may be worth contacting the CWGC regarding a previous burial site for your Great Uncle William.

cheers, Jon

Thank you for this information

Thanks to everyone who replied, especially Jon. I will definitely follow-up the lead with the CWGC and contact the NA regarding the War Diary.

Jan

• 9 years later...

This morning I received a collection of poems written by my grandfather Ivor Hall. Some written during his time in the first world war. This poem reflects his thoughts when passing a ‘common grave’. I did a quick internet search of the names listed and I believe the first name is that of your great uncle.

8955AD06-AADC-4D12-A373-C98A413E6ECD.jpeg.88c0a1e6b170dd27b49af7e43acb1d79.jpeg