Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chemin de Dames lone grave

michaelmclaren

Hi,

Some time ago while visiting the Chemin de Dames area I visited the memorial to the 27eme and 67eme Bataillons de Chasseurs Alpins which stands some way off the main road. A track leads down the hill from the memorial through the trees. A couple of hundred yards down this track and a short distance into the trees I noticed what looks like a French war grave. The cross is identical to those in the French cemeteries but the plaque bearing a name was not there. I saw no other graves and wondered if this was a war grave and if so who does the grave belong to? If it is a grave it is very sad it has lost its identity. Does anyone familiar with this area know of this grave?

Many Thanks

Michael

post-25417-0-98056200-1313350208.jpg

Michael

Sorry I can’t help with a name for this grave but there are a surprising number of lone graves with standard French crosses along the front. When I first visited the Chemin des Dames I found a simular one below the Basque Memorial. It is almost certainly a war grave and the cross would have been erected by the family (these could be purchased) after the war. It’s hard to say if the body is still there as often they were moved at a later date to a Nécropole Nationale and the cross left in place. On the French Pages 14-18 site it has been suggested with simular crosses in the Verdun area that the plaque with the persons name would have been taken at the time the body was exhumed and placed on the new cross in the NN. However there is some argument about this and unfortunately it could be that some ba***** has stolen it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Im planning to be on the Chemin again next year and will try and visit it.

Tim B

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that very helpful information. It would certainly be shocking if the plaque had been stolen but the thought had crossed my mind. Perhaps more likely to be an exumed grave. An interesting find anyway and thanks again for your explanations. Hope you have a good trip, it is a beautiful area.

All the best

Michael