Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Love Letters

Lascar

I am researching the experiences of Indian soldiers (sepoys) who fought in Europe during the Great War. As a diversion, I am also keen to research love letters written during this period. Are there any actual books written/printed about this delicate mattter? Please help!

Hi, you just need to Google them, it comes up with loads, here are a couple of web sites:- http://www.downthelane.net/ww1-a-letter-home.php

This site has a whole load of letters sent home from the trenches... http://aggsliterature.wordpress.com/wwi-letters-home/

hope this helps, couldn't find any books (didn't have time to look too long, but there are probably loads)

Vera Brittain's 'Testament of Youth' includes extracts from letters between Vera and her fiance Roland Leighton fighting on the Western Front. There is also 'Jutland Letters June-October 1916 Affectionate letters from a Royal Navy Commodore to his beloved wife', Wessex Books 2006, written by Commodore Charles Le Mesurier's to his wife Florence.

Hope that is a help, Regards, Michael Bully

I am researching the experiences of Indian soldiers (sepoys) who fought in Europe during the Great War. As a diversion, I am also keen to research love letters written during this period. Are there any actual books written/printed about this delicate mattter? Please help!

I have a great "love letter" (sort of) written to my father by about six women, actually a post card. When the war started my father was about 17 1/2 and was at a technical institute for construction management, as he was planning to become a Fortress-Construction Officer, a class of technical officer; his father was a similar Explosives Officer. (This is in Prussia.)

As the war went on my father's school may have closed, or he left it preparing to either be drafted or volunteer for the army. In the meanwhile he was sent to a Rittergut, a noble's estate, to help out, get in the harvest, etc., as most of the men were off to the war. He seemed to be quite popular (big, athletic, spoke six languages, well-educated), and actually after the war he returned for a while and worked there again and had an affair with the Baron's daughter.

The "love letter" in question is a post card written during a weekend "hens' party", by about six women, each writing a portion of text. I imagine that there were not a lot of men about, and I get the impression that the women were probably somewhat drunk. Some of the notes were rather racey. One mentioned that one of the women on the farm had just had a "love child", and one remarkable passage had one of the women joking about my father's "private member", and I might mention describing it accurately.

My father told me a great deal about his very interesting experiences in the war, and also generally in this time period, and some of it was about his social/sexual experiences, mostly on the theme of a young and inexperienced and sometimes frightened young lad; not boasting stuff. I have a great deal of oral history, and years of study has proved that the material that can be checked is extraordinarily accurate. I also have a lot of other material to compare with it, letters, and even a number of taped interviews with family members and friends.

I guess that this is not a "love letter", perhaps a "sex letter".

Bob Lembke

That must be some kind of record, six women writing to one soldier and all in one letter. I've seen one Marine write the same letter to six different girls but he mailed them all separately.

Here's a postcard depicting a Pionier of the flamethrower platoon of Sturmbataillon Nr. 5 (Rohr). The handwritten message on back, addressed to Miss Liesel Hess, is dated August 5, 1920, and reads, "My Little Heart: At the time this photo was taken, we had not met. I did not know that the war would be surmounted and... I would find you. Signed, your darling." Good to know he survived the war.

post-7020-0-44708300-1313627234.jpg