Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment

GrahamC

snapback.pngGrahamC, on 15 May 2011 - 03:56 PM, said:

:thumbsup: Just had a quick browse - what an excellent facility. Oh for the day when we can access all War Diaries so easily. I only have one Berks. Regt. guy on my Memorial project - L/Cpl. Ernest STREET, d.o.w. 8 Sept 1918, 5th Battalion. :poppy:

Graham

I've tacked this on to an older post, but probably worth opening a new one - but regarding my guy - above - who died of wounds on 8 Sept. 1918. The War Diary extracts online at the Regimental Museum state: "Account of operations Aug 8th - 12th is attached"

Does anyone have a copy of the attachment, please? It just occurs to me that this is where he might have sustained his wounds.

Thanks

Graham

Graham

The Kew copy of the War Diary for 5RBR is online and downloadable for 3.50. WO95/1856 (Feb 1918 to May 1919).

In early Sept 1918 they (12Div) were at the Canal du Nord,south of Manancourt attacking NURLU,then on the 8th a heavy casualty day at Guyencourt.

I am wondering,as he is buried at Abbeville on the 8th, whether he was wounded in the earlier action (4-5th) ?

Sotonmate

[ I only have one Berks. Regt. guy on my Memorial project - L/Cpl. Ernest STREET, d.o.w. 8 Sept 1918, 5th Battalion. :poppy:

Graham

Ernest Street was ex RASC (S/4/042329) and transferred to the 5th R Berks as 39002

On the 5th September 1918 they attacked the village of Moislains and were shelled with HE Shrapnel They had 12 ORs wounded.

As he is buried at Abbeville CCE it is likely he was moved there on the 6th and died on the 8th. You have to go back to 4th May for any serious casualties when they had 73 wounded at Acheux and from this date he would have been repatriated to England well before he died.

We would certainly be interested to know which war memorial you are referring to and to hear from anyone else who has Royal Berkshiremen on their local memorials.

John

Thanks guys

My first thoughts were along similar lines - i.e. he was wounded quite close to the date he d.o.w. but my other post - here - shows that his mother was able to travel from the north of Derbyshire to be with him either when he died or at least to attend his funeral - which I would guess was almost immediate.

Quite a (nearly) unique case, and your thoughts are most interesting - keep 'em coming!

Ref: Purley's request - Pt. Street is the only Berks Regt. man on the Buxton, Derbyshire, Memorial - my latest project - building a website to commemorate each of the 315 guys (+ 1 nurse) on there.

Graham

post-37838-0-22032400-1313149739.jpg

[quote

Ref: Purley's request - Pt. Street is the only Berks Regt. man on the Buxton, Derbyshire, Memorial - my latest project - building a website to commemorate each of the 315 guys (+ 1 nurse) on there.

Graham[/size]

Graham

many thanks for this - I will pop along when I am in Gt Longstone in a month's time.

As for the mother's visit you have to take into account the army bureaucracy. The casualty lists would have to be compiled and reported to Brigade on the day after the event, then this had to get back to the war office, at least another day, probably two, then a telegram would be sent out after the WO verified the details and checked records for NOK - arrival earliest day 4. Alternatively a mate could have written direct to the mother on day 1, arrival day 3, possibly day 2.

If she had set out immediately on receipt of the news she could have been on board a ferry from Southampton the evening of day 3 and at Abbeville day 4, but how would she know he had been taken to Abbeville? - she would not have needed permission to go, only the money and the will. So it is just about possible she made it but I would think it much more likely that he was dead and buried the day she arrived and the hospital chaplain held a special service for her at the graveside.

regards

John