Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Single pages etc from old magazines

Moonraker

I've just completed my regular "Salisbury Plain" search on eBay and there are a lot of offers of photographs (typically Buy It Now at £4) and full pages (at £16-20) from old magazines. They feature prewar manoeuvres but I've also seen similar offerings for the Great War period (not least of the first months of the conflict.)

I'm always a little uneasy about these. Fair enough if the magazine was a bit tatty, but I suspect that someone has got hold of a complete copy of the magazine (I hope not a bound volume)and cut it up for the interesting bits.

Then I suppose not many people will want to buy, say, the October 19xx issue of The Graphic or Illustrated London News for the sake of one article, and it's possible to get more by selling it piecemeal. But it does smack of desecration.

At least listing the items does sometimes make it possible to glean some extra information, either from the eBay illustration, or by consulting an original copy in a library.

Moonraker

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to agree with you ,a few years ago there sprung up a few antique print shops ,which tended to be all the usual suspects from Graphic and Illsturated London News which when they were chargeing £10 + and a few hundred i have seen for some of the famous stuff ,which allways seemed to be Zulu war or Egypt 82 84 ,have collected a collection of complete ones over the years including 1878 for 10 euros last week ,and the point is on the reverse of many of the ones for either Crimea ,Mutiny , Afgan ect there are casuality reports ,officers letters which seems a shame ,thre was a infamous dealer i rember evan 10 years ago buying copys of Her Majestys Navy and the Army one buying them at local Kent auctions and pulling out the plates and dumping the books !

One of the greatest mistakes I made as a youngster was dumping entire runs for WW1 of The Sphere, Graphic and ILN that my father had found in a roof of an old building that had been a WW1 cottage hospital, and the owners had given him for me. I now miss every one of those magazines and all the wonderful pages. I hate to see them broken up, unless they are beyond salvage. My best buy was a miss-bound ILN that was dated on the cover Jul -Dec 1879, but inside was the editions Jan - June, and all those wonderful Zulu War illusrtrations, best £3 I ever spent.

G

Then I suppose not many people will want to buy, say, the October 19xx issue of The Graphic or Illustrated London News for the sake of one article, and it's possible to get more by selling it piecemeal. But it does smack of desecration.

A magazine is not a holy place nor a grave therefore desecration is mite strong and inaccurate. vandalisation possibly.

Cutting into the Lusitania which is a grave (see another thread) now that's desecration.

• 1 year later...

Examples of this sort of stuff - single pages from magazines of a 100 years ago - are being offered on eBay as "antique prints", which is egging it a bit. And prices have edged upwards, around £27 not uncommon a BuyItNow price for one flimsy page.

(But I have to admit that some of the illustrations - whether drawings, paintings or photographs - are rather better than those on contemporary postcards.)

Moonraker

In the antiquarian book trade it was once known as 'breaking'.

'Wrecking' seems a more appropriate term to me.

Tim

Wonder how many actually sell though? I see the same ones relisted again and again and again

I understand the dilemma. I have a few early 20th century books (natural history not Great War) which are in poor condition. As such, they are only worth a few quid according to AbeBooks. However, the books are full of colour plates , mainly birds and flowers, which I'm sure are flogable. I keep toying with the idea of cutting them out but havnt yet felt able to do so - feels sort of like vandalism.

#librarian has to sit down with a phial of sal volatile#

:o