Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alan Greveson's World War Forum

Skipman

• 6 years later...

I bumped into Alan Greveson's Forum Alan Greveson's World War Forum accidentally this evening. Seemingly after doing a heroic eight years worth of free research for people,  Alan Grevenson seems to have retired since the beginning of 2017. He seemed to show infinite patience with those, who when given pages on information, seek to know further the exact spot where their forebear was killed/wounded/lost his mess tin. We all know there are those who are immensely grateful for scraps of information and then there are those who are not satisfied even if they get a boot size and a hat size. I noticed one enquiry on the Greveson Forum regarding a soldier who I had already  researched some years ago for the same enquirer who had led me through an exchange of about ten e-mails (ignoring all hints that he might by an excellent regimental history for £16).

Alan's replies (none of them 'standard' paste-in paragraphs as far as I can see) were beautifully written and structured, each one bespoke for the enquirer. As Mike  (Skipman) says, he appears to know his stuff. There are a few errors (who does not make errors apart from a golden few on the GWF who never (ever) err? He has apparently gone to do 'other things' although there are some traces on the internet. I noticed that the site 'supported the Royal British Legion'; I idly wondered how many of those he helped made a donation. 

Meanwhile, queries appear to pile up, unanswered on the website despite a moderator (?) posting that Alan has 'left the building'.

Ian

Edited by Ian Riley

Mike

Mr Greveson.  is a member of this forum 

a super sleuth like yourself should be able to identify him 

But my lips are sealed

Ray

he helped a lot of people including myself.his answers were comprehensive not just 2 liners.

5 hours ago, johnboy said:

he helped a lot of people including myself.his answers were comprehensive not just 2 liners.

Absolutely, and for no gain, other than our gratitude.

Mike

Excellent! 

Do we all have to shout 'I'm Greveson!' to confuse folk like they did in 'Spartacus'

Bernard (I'm not Spartacus, honest...)

He helped me when I first started out, too. Such a generous undertaking, that website -  Alan Greveson must have provided impetus to countless journeys of discovery over the years. I'm certainly indebted to him.

Pat.

PS and yes, I did make a donation

PPS and no, I'm not Greveson (or Spartacus, or indeed Brian)