Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th East Lancs.

brentoid56

240534 Louis Hatherley began the war as a private and ended as CSM. After researching in circles, his service record certainly appears to have been amongst the 2/3 of lost records due to bombing in WWII. My last shot will be to have the Regiment at the barracks in Preston UK check it's own records for a fee. I decided to cast a line here also after running across the forum in my search. The Battalion was stationed in Egypt and saw action at the Dardanelles and in France. He lost a cousin, also Louis, Ambulance corps, in the sinking of the Royal Edward in 1915 and another cousin, Richard F Hatherley by the banks of the Somme in 1916. There were decorations but I have no idea, I only have his Gen.Service medal. I'm honoured to become a member of this forum, I'm new here but an old hand to the subject matter.

<a%20href=Topbmp.jpg">

72S

There seems to be two Medal Index Cards to fit your desciption of Louis' service. There is a card for 2361 Pte L Hatherley which shows merely a 1914-15 Star for the Gallipoli theatre (Code 2b),his landing there was on 10 May 1915.1/5 ELR were with 126 Brigade of 42 Division then. They later moved to Egypt and were involved there until leaving for France in Feb 1917. His second number 240534,shown on the second Medal Card,and with an issue of 2 other camapign medals, is as a result of the 1917 re-numbering of the TF Infantry,and still gives him as 5 Battalion.

That at least fits your understanding of his service.Hopefully it will transpire that these cards are indeed his !

Sotonmate

72S

There seems to be two Medal Index Cards to fit your desciption of Louis' service. There is a card for 2361 Pte L Hatherley which shows merely a 1914-15 Star for the Gallipoli theatre (Code 2b),his landing there was on 10 May 1915.1/5 ELR were with 126 Brigade of 42 Division then. They later moved to Egypt and were involved there until leaving for France in Feb 1917. His second number 240534,shown on the second Medal Card,and with an issue of 2 other camapign medals, is as a result of the 1917 re-numbering of the TF Infantry,and still gives him as 5 Battalion.

That at least fits your understanding of his service.Hopefully it will transpire that these cards are indeed his !

Sotonmate

Thank you kindly, Sotonmate, here is a clipping showing the 2361 designation, and his gen svc medal shows his service number of 240534. They are both my grandfather although I have no idea what 2361 signifies.

<a%20href=HatherleyLouis23611st5EastLRWiAgallip18815.jpg">

The Territorial Force was renumbered en masse in 1917, that is when the number 240534 would have been issued to him. 2361 is the number he would have been issued at enlistment, and used up until the renumbering

Here's another newspaper clip regarding Louis (Burnley News, 21st Aug 1915) ...

post-357-0-26776500-1312792030.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up with the number. The bit at the emd of the above clipping wherre it says about being known at church. His wife Hilda went to church while Louis went across the road for a pint and a Woodbine!

The bit at the emd of the above clipping wherre it says about being known at church. His wife Hilda went to church while Louis went across the road for a pint and a Woodbine!

Presumably 'The Dragoon' then? (There never was a pub across the road from the Ebeneezer Baptist Chapel in Burnley, but the Drag (only closed down about a year or so ago which is pretty amazing considering the area its in) - a couple of streets away - must be the nearest (followed by the Queen Victoria a little further up the main road)... all mentioned buildings are still there today)

Dave

Presumably 'The Dragoon' then? (There never was a pub across the road from the Ebeneezer Baptist Chapel in Burnley, but the Drag (only closed down about a year or so ago which is pretty amazing considering the area its in) - a couple of streets away - must be the nearest (followed by the Queen Victoria a little further up the main road)... all mentioned buildings are still there today)

Dave

Ha ha! ok, so Nanna Hatherley attended Immanuel Baptist Chapel on Waterbarn st. and Louis would walk down to the Duke Bar Hotel over on Colne rd. They lived at 49 Bracewell street so Immanuel Chapel was closer. Hilda passed away at 94 in that house where her husband died, bedridden by emphysema at 56, Worked in a coal mine, smoked 40 a day, took two 8mm through a lung at Gallipoli and got gassed in France, and not on the local Vin rouge. I would have loved to have known him. Maybe in the hereafter then.

Recovering at Scarborough? from gas injury. Back row, third from left- note neck bandage.

<a%20href=image-5.jpg">

Louis would walk down to the Duke Bar Hotel over on Colne rd. They lived at 49 Bracewell street

Small world!... my infant school was St.John's on nearby Ivy Street and a couple of my friends lived on Bracewell Street, so I spent quite some time back in the 1970's on that street!

Good choice of pubs for Louis in that area, too, with at least 7 that I can think of within easy stagger distance of each other (well, there was back then and up to about 10 years ago anyway)... only the Queen Vic and the Wheatsheaf still open these days (and I'm not 100% certain about the Wheatsheaf). The Duke Bar Hotel you refer to would presumably be the Duke of York (quite an iconic image in its day...featuring on many photos and picture postcards of old Burnley...its been a cafe, a doss house, a knocking shop, a taxi rank and a right-wing extremist HQ since(oh...and most recently raided for being a cannabis farm!!!)... quite a varied history which, sadly, illustrates how that area of town has degenerated over the years).

dave

Small world!...

Jiffybio: I grew up on Queens rd from 1965-1980 and went to St. Cuthberts church. (we were C of E) Went to school at Walter st. in Brierfield, Barden then Burnley Grammar. My dad had Fairway Motors on Cobden st Harle Syke. I miss Burnley, but only for what it was, what it has become, like poor old George MacDonald Fraser, I don't give a fig for. ee, it 'as bin nice thinkin' back t' thowd place tha noors. Brent Pozzleswait (sic)Just on the offchance you know me, it's the right era, I was a kid in that area at that time. I actually met a third cousin through researching my Grandfather and we were able to exchange pictures and lineage notes so i wouldn't be surprised at all. Just for the record, as I recall, "going across the road" just meant the pub, wherever it was.