Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK Hospitals 1917

Sue Light

I believe Sue's website is still available, Jill. The link should be on her posts as a signature.

Regards,

seaJane

• 7 months later...

Hi, this is a bit of a long short but I wonder if anyone knows whether this photo is of Oxford House, Oxford Street in Whitley Bay. My great grandfather was there during 1917 after returning from France. Thanks in advance for your help and feel free to use the photo if it is of help to anyone.

1917E (088) Army Hosptal Whitley Bay.jpg

Welcome to the forum Graham.

I have just had a look at streetview and your building looks far too grand to be in Oxford Street, Whitley Bay.

My great grandfather is recorded on the 1901 census as a patient in Whitley Links Convalescent Home, which has several pages of people here. I think this is your postcard location. I don't know yet where this is or whether or not it still exists.

David

Graham

The postcard seems to be the Prudhoe Memorial Convalescent Home, see here. Thanks for prodding me into looking for the 1901 census location.

David

Graham

I googled Oxford House, Oxford Street and found a 1965 document from the Whitley Bay and District Hotel and Boarding House Association which has a Mrs Lowery at Oxford House, 1 Oxford Street witha guest house of five rooms, here.

It seems likely that this is where your great grandfather was streetview. (Ignoring google's street numbering which seems to be a bit off-beam)

David 

Edited by dgibson150