Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK Hospitals 1917

Sue Light

Sue,

The "C&A" as it was affectionately known occupied a position on Holyhead Road, just up the hill from the main Railway Station (the old A5 looped through town and emerged to follow the shoreline of the Menai Straits for a mile and more as far as the Menai Suspension Bridge where Bodlondeb is situated). The site is now a supermarket. I spent part of a schooltime summer there as a hospital porter, a job engineered by my parents (mother was a hospital seamstress, and father worked in the wages dept. which was located on the Glanadda site). Nearest I've ever been to being in the medical profession...

Clive

Sue,

The "C&A" as it was affectionately known occupied a position on Holyhead Road, just up the hill from the main Railway Station (the old A5 looped through town and emerged to follow the shoreline of the Menai Straits for a mile and more as far as the Menai Suspension Bridge where Bodlondeb is situated).

Thanks - it's hard to find an actual address, I'm sure because everyone was fully aware of where it was and didn't need any telling!

Sue

I recently came across this hospital in Dublin which doesn't seem to be on your list -

Leopardstown Park Hospital - established in 1917 as a hospital and home, for the care and treatment of soldiers who have been disabled or injured in the British Armed Forces.

John

I think that's because it wasn't a military hospital, but was used for servicemen post-discharge, similar to places like the Star and Garter in Richmond. So by that time they were civilians. But I will keep a note of it, so thanks.

Sue

Moresby House Hospital near Whitehaven I think is now the Howgate Hotel I remember a few years ago when I was used to deliver there. There was a big memorial in the foyer saying that it was a convalescence hospital for soldiers during the Great War

I'll have to have a look in again and hopefully it is still there I don't live all that far away from it, The hotel has changed hands a few times and is now a Premier Inn.

I'll take my camera and take some piccies

Dazz

• 1 month later...

Sue & Clive

Looking through some stuff today and I saw a snippet in the North Wales Chronicle of 21/9/1917 under Bangor that a Nurse M Griffith of the Medical Home, Garth had lost a brother in action, Sgt R F Griffith, Manchester Regiment, who had been with the forces since January 1915.

Luckily the 1911 census is searchable by address and lo and behold there is a The Medical Home which has a Ethel Louise Dean as Lady Superintendent, one patient, one nurse (not Griffith) and a servant. The next image showing the schedule has her as Ethel L Dean, postal address of 1 Green Bank. Google maps has that right down by the Pier on what I believe to be Garth Rd (Clive could verify?) Ethel Dean is on the 1901 at 1 Garfield Terr which is also on Garth Rd according to Google maps.No patients, just three nursesa Gymnast/Masseusse and a servant.

Hywyn

Hello there, that is one cracking list you have there, i have been researching my great grandfather, who was in the rfa. He was transferred to Richmond hospital where he died from influenza in 1918. I could not find a great deal of info of Richmond military hospital.

On another note i have the good fortune to visist three of the VADS in the northern region, due to where i work at sunderland uni. Hammerton Hall, St Michaels and Ashburne house. I once had to go into the morgue in Ashburne House where the bodies of the dead soldiers lay awiting collection, and i have to say a very nerving and spooky experiance. I only wish i had taken photos of the large brass plaques in each of the hallways commemerating the use of the building

Sue & Clive

Looking through some stuff today and I saw a snippet in the North Wales Chronicle of 21/9/1917 under Bangor that a Nurse M Griffith of the Medical Home, Garth had lost a brother in action, Sgt R F Griffith, Manchester Regiment, who had been with the forces since January 1915.

Luckily the 1911 census is searchable by address and lo and behold there is a The Medical Home which has a Ethel Louise Dean as Lady Superintendent, one patient, one nurse (not Griffith) and a servant. The next image showing the schedule has her as Ethel L Dean, postal address of 1 Green Bank. Google maps has that right down by the Pier on what I believe to be Garth Rd (Clive could verify?) Ethel Dean is on the 1901 at 1 Garfield Terr which is also on Garth Rd according to Google maps.No patients, just three nursesa Gymnast/Masseusse and a servant.

Hywyn

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Sue,

Thanks for your hospitals list which included "HAYE LEIGH" which I believe was a VAD in Derby during WW1. Two years ago I asked forum members if they could throw any light on this VAD and got zero response other than a suggestion I should contact the Red Cross: which I did only to be told that the Red Cross had destroyed most of their records after the war. ...The Derby Library, where I would have expected some relevant photos to be among their collection, advised a) members of the public were not permitted to view the library photo collection and B) there were no relevant photos of Haye Leigh. So I will try again on this forum. My interest as you will have guessed is that I now live in Haye Leigh!

Yours in hope,Kevin

Kevin

The only thing I can add is that it provided 24 beds for other ranks, so quite small, and probably just one ward in a house or hall. I see that there is a comment on the web about it having been transferred from Osmaston Manor - this was closed as a hospital facility by the autumn of 1917 when my list was compiled, so perhaps that might provide a link, as I see it (Osmaston) was used again as a convalescent home in WW2.

Sue

Many thanks Sue. I would be very interested to learn from where your info (Haye Leigh providing 24 beds for other ranks) was sourced. The house in 1917 (before it was divided into two houses) probably had 10 bedrooms, morning, dining, drawing and reception rooms; therefore pretty big, plus the fact that we know it was unoccupied - the owner being away during the war years.

Best wishes

Kevin

Hi folks,

just spotted Hywyn's post# 31.

I can confirm that the Medical Home site at 1 Green Bank is very close to Bangor Pier, roughly opposite the "Ship Launch" pub. The owner/manager's previous address at 1 Greenfield Terrace was a little further west down Garth Road, past the old School; the terrace being one of three such adjoining terraces distinguished by use of yellow bricks, now right opposite the Swimming Pool.

Clive

Many thanks Sue. I would be very interested to learn from where your info (Haye Leigh providing 24 beds for other ranks) was sourced.

Sorry Kevin - I didn't realise I hadn't got the source anywhere, even on the website page - I'll correct it. The list on the website comes from a document published by the War Office in October 1917 'List of the Various Hospitals Treating Military Cases in the United Kingdom.' There is a copy of this list at The National Archives in WO95/5494. Although I have only the basic details on the website, the list also includes information on whether it was a central or auxiliary hospital; if an auxiliary, then the central hospital which held responsibility for it; the number of beds, both officer and other ranks, and in some cases what use the building was put to prior to the war, e.g. school, civil hospital. In the case of Haye Leigh, it was affiliated to 5th Northern General Hospital (T.F.), Leicester, from where it would have received its patients.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Don't know if you have this one: Heatherdene Convalescent Home, Harrogate. Extract below from the National Archives:

Sunderland Royal Infirmary in the 19th century had a makeshift system of sending patients to convalescent homes, but the Committee wished to provide its own convalescent home. They saw it as important for staff as well as patients, they needed a break - 'so that absolute breakdown on the part of sisters, which had occurred in the past, might be averted'. They persuaded the Victoria Hall Disaster Fund (founded in 1883 after over 180 children were killed in the hall in a stampede) to fund the purchase and conversion of Heatherdene Convalescent Home in Lancaster Park, Harrogate. The Fund donated £4000 and the home was opened on 15 September 1892 by the Mayoress of Sunderland, Mrs Stansfield Richardson.

At its opening it was principally for the admission of children (and some women) but an extension for adults was planned when funds allowed. In 1894, a further two acres of land were purchased and the foundation stone for an extension for male patients was laid on 15 September 1894. The extension opened on 20 May 1896, having cost £4500 including the land.

On 8 December 1914, the Committee agreed to the home being used as a military hospital and it continued as such until 29 March 1919.

Patrick

Hi Sue

Excellent and detailed list; and a great website. Just to draw your attention to three local mansions referred to in local papers during the Great War as being used for convalescent or infirmary hospitals. Western Division Ruthin area. You have Ruthin Auxiliary Red Cross Hospital listed. The three are Pool Park on the B525 Ruthin - Cerrigydrudion Road; Bryn Mair on the Ruthin - Llanfair Road and Ruthin Castle in the town itself.

Also - it may be of interest to you that Denbighshire Archives have a largish collection of photos taken of patients and staff at the Ruthin Auxiliary Red Cross Hospital, including a day trip to Rhyl!

If you need any further details contact me.

The Ruthin Castle one being the home of the notorious socialite Lady Patsy Cornwallis West who conducted an affair with a young private in the RWF who was a patient there.

Thanks Patrick - it's certainly not included on the War Office list under that name, but it obviously worked throughout the war, so I wonder if it was called something else during its military life. There is one large officers' convalescent hospital called 'Furness Convalescent Hospital' but that could be somewhere entirely different.

Regards - Sue

Geraint

There is no mention of any of these in the 1917 War Office list - I wonder if they had closed by that time? I can't imagine Ruthin Castle being left out by accident!

Sue

• 2 years later...

Hi There,

Came across this interesting post researching my Great Uncle Cuthbert Umfreville Laws who according to the London Gazette served at the Northumberland War Hospital. Any ideas, was this in Newcastle upon Tyne or the one so marked at Gosforth?

Any info more than gratefully received.

Cheers.

Felicity

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone

I have this list that I am trying to identify where they stood, if anyone can help me please:

Beach Auxiliary Hospital, Holyhead

Holborn Auxiliary Hospital, Holyhead
Bodlondeb Auxiliary Hospital, Menai Bridge Road, Bangor - this one has been answered above
Darien Auxiliary Hospital, Trearddur Bay, near Holyhead
Hill Auxiliary Hospital, Holyhead
Isallt Faur Auxiliary Hospital, Trearddur Bay, near Holyhead
Bungalow Auxiliary Hospital, Trearddur Bay, near Holyhead

Kind regards

Wend

• 2 weeks later...

I found this photograph in a junk shop. I have dated it to post April 1918 because one or more members of the RAF are present. It would appear to be either a Hospital or Convalescent Home. The Matron's name is M.Haskins or Hoskins. She wears two small chevrons on her sleeve. There are approx 25 signatures on the mount. Do any of you experts have any idea where this might be? Slightly larger images are available.post-91019-0-75293700-1411916099_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Terry,

Do you know how to find the 1917 War Office list of hospitals which Sue spoke of?

Is her website still live?

I'm writing an article and would love to have access to the numbers of beds in Notts auxiliary hospitals.

Jill