Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belfast Banking Co / Northern Banking Co

JGGB

The Belfast Banking Company & the Northern Banking Company were both Northern Ireland institutions that merged in 1970 to form what is now known as the Northern Bank Limited (part of Danske Bank, Denmark). Both banks have their own Rolls of Honour consisting of either brass tablets or pictorial memorials.

Belfast Banking Company Roll of Honour used to be situated in their Head Office in Waring Street, Belfast.

Northern Banking Company Roll of Honour used to be situated in their Head Office in Victoria Street, Belfast.

All are now safely installed in the present Northern Bank Head Office in Donegall Square West, Belfast. Together they record circa 300 staff members who served and / or gave their lives during both wars.

The Northern Banking Company did publish a centenary book in 1924 detailing their WWI officials but I am unaawre of any such Belfast Banking Company effort.

I have taken on the task of recompiling a record of all these men and am enquiring whether any forum member is aware of any such project undertaken on these Rolls of Honour in the past? I have utilised CWGC infomation, War Graves photographic project and Irish Census 1901 & 1911 records to date. I am interested in what became of each official following their return after each war e.g. did they all return to their bank clerk roles? Bank staff records are sparse. What else should be used?

Many thanks, Gavin.

• 3 weeks later...