Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A list of personal effects

Bardess

Sgt Harry Atkinson of 8th Bn Rifle Brigade KIA 09.12.15.

1 Disc

1 Purse

1 Leather Cg [?Carrying?] Case

1 Looking Glass

1 Note Book

2 Whistles

1 Electric Torch

1 Pencil

3 RB Buttons

2 Titles

1 Cap Badge

1 Watch Key

1 Knife

1 Pocket Wallet

20 Photos

4 Letters

1 Prayer Book

Not much to show is there really. I hope these articles were safely received by his family.

1 Leather Cg [?Carrying?] Case

I would suggest an abbreviated cigar or cigarette case.

I see that there was a watch key - but where was the watch? No money in the purse?

My wife's grandfather, mortally burned in a tank in 1918, evacuated to a CCS, had even less: badges of rank, and a pipe. On reflection, that is understandable, as all his kit would have been stowed in the tank, and the stretcher bearers would have stripped any gear from the casualty as they gave first aid.

Inkerman,

Do you know any more details about your wife's grandfather - rank; name; date wounded; battalion and tank served in etc etc? I for one would be interested if you feel you could share these details

Tanks3

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. He is Captain Brian Edward Hill, 1 Bn Tank Corps. Enlisted Public schools Bn Royal Fusiliers 14 Aug 1914. Commissioned 2Lt ASC Nov 1914, served France and Salonika, invalided home [my guess Malaria] transferred to RFC No 1 Flying Training School Reading 1917, medically downgraded [Malaria again?] transferred to Tank Corps, died at Bellicourt on 2 Oct 1918 from wounds received on 29 Sept 1918. I do not know which tank he was in; when I read the war diary it only mentioned tank casualties, not personnel. If you know more, please tell.

Richard

Inkerman may have a point. I recall, have forgotten from where, a phrase 'Rob all my comrades'. It would not be surprising if a few did.

Old Tom

Inkerman may have a point. I recall, have forgotten from where, a phrase 'Rob all my comrades'. It would not be surprising if a few did.

From the Royal Army Medical Corps title - RAMC.

There are some very touching letters in the service records from widows and mothers, enquiring about the whereabouts of personal effects that hadn't made the journey home, such as cigarette cases, watches, War Bonds etc. One of the saddest lists of personal effects I've found so far, consisted on "one set of artificial dentures" and that was it!

I think that there was a spectrum of honesty on the casevac chain; some may have lived up to the unkind nickname 'rob all my comrades', but there was a deal of confusion as well. My great uncle was wounded [three shrapnel balls in the buttocks] on 5 July 1916 close to Lochnagar Crater and was casevaced to England. Quite naturally the stretcher bearers had stripped all his equipment before he was put on the stretcher and in the ensuing confusion it was abandoned in the trench where he was wounded. His first request to his mother from the convalescent hospital was for some civilian clothes, as he could not walk out improperly dressed - no hat or Sam Browne!

One could hope that there was more at stake when evacuating a wounded man than worrying about a few personal trinkets that he may have been carrying.

• 3 months later...

Capt Brian Edward Hill Tank Corps, b 1896 Chesterfield, Derbyshire died of wounds 02 Oct 1918 is part my family tree and I would like to find out more about him, can you suggest where I look?