Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Diary request please

Seany

Does anyone have access to the diary for 15 HAG for the first half of 1918?

if so can you please see if 293 siege battery are mentioned.

it seems unclear if 293 were under 15 HAG or, as I have been thinking, 94 HAG/94 brigade.

thank you.

Does anyone have access to the diary for 15 HAG for the first half of 1918?

if so can you please see if 293 siege battery are mentioned.

it seems unclear if 293 were under 15 HAG or, as I have been thinking, 94 HAG/94 brigade.

thank you.

Seany

Have just checked the TNA site - 15th Brigade war diary only goes from May 1917 - Nov 1917 (1 only). 104th Brigade diaries cover Dec 1917 - Mar 1919. Can anyone confirm that 293 SB are mentioned in this one?

Ruth

Not sure what you looked up there Ruth. Heavy Artillery Groups were movable feasts and not as such a unit. They came under the command of a Corps at any one time and you need the diaries of the Commander, Heavy Artillery for the Corps in question for the time in question. Another avenue is if anyone has photographed or copied WO95/5494. This lists all artillery units and who they served with and when. I keep meaning to get a copy of this when at Kew but other things take preference every time. They may be in the OH, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Jim

Not sure what you looked up there Ruth. Heavy Artillery Groups were movable feasts and not as such a unit. They came under the command of a Corps at any one time and you need the diaries of the Commander, Heavy Artillery for the Corps in question for the time in question. Another avenue is if anyone has photographed or copied WO95/5494. This lists all artillery units and who they served with and when. I keep meaning to get a copy of this when at Kew but other things take preference every time. They may be in the OH, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for the suggestion.

What I looked up was WO 95/4206 104 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery 1917 Dec - 1919 March.

Ruth

No mention in the OH so it might be difficult to pin down under which higher unit they served unless you get access to the Kew document I mentioned above or someone else comes along.

Jim

No mention in the OH so it might be difficult to pin down under which higher unit they served unless you get access to the Kew document I mentioned above or someone else comes along.

Jim

As 293 were mis-recorded as 294 in Farndale's, is it possible 104 have also been mis-recorded?

Ruth

According to "Allocations of Siege Batteries, RGA" (WO95/5494) 293 Siege Battery, RGA served under 104th HAG from 31 December 1917 to 11 January 1918 and under 94th HAG from 12 January 1918 to the end of the war. Dick Flory

According to "Allocations of Siege Batteries, RGA" (WO95/5494) 293 Siege Battery, RGA served under 104th HAG from 31 December 1917 to 11 January 1918 and under 94th HAG from 12 January 1918 to the end of the war. Dick Flory

Many thanks, Dick

Ruth

Edit: I've just tried to access that ref on the TNA site, but can't get into it to get the info you've given above. What am I doing wrong?

Ruth,

Didn't Paul also give this info on post 4 of your recent thread?

Kevin

Yes, I think he did. I've been trying to go through all the information & compare it with the info in the history of the medical services as well. I think I'm getting there - slowly!

Ruth

Ruth

The diary reference is not viewable online. It can only be viewed at Kew. Dick must have obtained a copy of it somehow.

Jim

Kevin - he did indeed, always helpful, I'm off on a different track to Ruth and heading somewhere else. (it made sense to me when I wrote it).

Ruth,

Didn't Paul also give this info on post 4 of your recent thread?

Kevin

Ruth

The diary reference is not viewable online. It can only be viewed at Kew. Dick must have obtained a copy of it somehow.

Jim

Thanks, Jim.