Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where are our fallen buried?

River97

Andy - I would say that this would have to be your man STRONG - who according to his death notice (also in the Sydney Morning Herald same day), actually died on the 13/5/1918, not the 19/7/1918 (?)

Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 15/5/1918:

FUNERALS

STRONG – The Friends of the late JOHN LOUIS STRONG, (Anzac), late of the 2nd Batt, AIF, and formerly of the Army Medical Corps, South African campaign, are kindly invited to attend his Funeral, which will leave our Private Mortuary Chambers at 9.30 THIS (Wednesday) MORNING for Waverley Cemetery.

Cheers, Frev

Frev,

That is awesome. There is nothing in his service records that mentions a date of death, it came from the AWM Roll of Honour. There have been a few with anomalies like that so may very well be him.

Cheers Andy.

Andy,

His records don't mention him being with AMC but they do show 5 years with the Royal Australian Artillery.......I think the only way that might prove whether this is the correct man is to get his death certificate....

Elizabeth

Andy,

The Tarban Creek Cemetery headstones may have been moved in 1960 but they aren't there now! Just an oval and a park, so you can rule that one out.

Scott

Andy,

His records don't mention him being with AMC but they do show 5 years with the Royal Australian Artillery.......I think the only way that might prove whether this is the correct man is to get his death certificate....

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

I had a look on the AIF embarkation roll, the national archives for service records, the AIF project through ADFA and there is no other John Strong with a middle name even close to the original in post one. I still would like to confirm if this is the same soldier.

Andy,

The Tarban Creek Cemetery headstones may have been moved in 1960 but they aren't there now! Just an oval and a park, so you can rule that one out.

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for having a look, I need you to go and see............. kidding tongue.gif. So where do we go from here. I have just sent the spreadsheet to Elizabeth to see if she can figure out where my Broughton Hall trio have gone.

Thanks again, both of you.

Cheers Andy.