Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Polish uniforms

Nelson5

Hi, I am a new member and new to posting on forums, so I hope I get this right. I came across this old photograph of a women standing between two soldiers. I think the one on her right is wearing a Polish uniform but I am not sure about the other uniform. Also written on the back is 'Glauke 1919' I could be completely wrong about that. Has anyone got any ideas???post-76734-0-70590100-1312330751.jpgpost-76734-0-20556500-1312330767.jpg

Hi,

You are correct the gentleman on her right is wearing a Polish infantry uniform (the zig-zag on the collar is always a give away).

The gentleman on her left is wearing an early Polish cavalry uniform, they had that high collar and it appears there are crossed swords on the collar.

Neat photo.

Hope this helps,

Neil

The gentleman on the left of the photo is definitely wearing a Polish uniform. The one on the right likely. The time would put them into the start of the Bolshevik War 1919/20 and, judging by appearance, they could well have seen Great War service. The inscription may be Glanta but that makes about as much Polish sense to me as Glauke. My grand-niece is called Blanka. Do you have any other provenance for the photo? Yours, Antony

Thank you both for your replies. The photograph belonged tomy great aunt Sarah Josephine Dowling (known as Sally), she was a teacher. Thereis another photograph of a woman, who looks very like the one in the photo withthe two soldiers, her name was Sophie Morawska. My aunt worked in Poland (variouslocations) and spoke fluent Polish and French. Not sure if this helps. Thanks again, Elaine

post-76734-0-99781700-1312461699.jpg

Polish endearments or diminutives can be very tricky. My father's first wife was called Tushka. Her name was Stanislawa!

Glanta? Planta? Elanta? I can't tell unless you have other examples of your great aunt's handwriting. Of course, the writing may belong to the lady in the photo.

Is it her name? Well; if the two officers were relatively unimportant to her and your g/a, then it could be simply a woman's name. However, it's surprising that they are not mentioned. That would suggest a place. Glauke is a figure from Greek mythology I believe and certainly appears in Polish literature but I am not familiar with it as a placename.

I will pm Towisuk and ask him to consider it.

Regards, Antony

That's a constructive thought that leads me to Slanta - which could, possibly, be a diminutive for Slawomira but would seem to be stretching to Sophie (or Sofia). The trouble with Polish diminutives are that they are so common and so personal. Neither Slavka or Slanta leads me to a place name. Antony

Thank you for all the interest so far, I have attached a sample of my aunts handwriting. I selected some Polish names and addresses from her address book. I hope they are clear, I had problems trying to attach the scanned pages and ended up cutting and pasting on to a word document then printing it off and then rescanning it to my photos. I tried using Fotosizer to reduce the original scans but they were still too large to attach. Hope they are of some help. I have noticed sometimes she does not cross her 't's, and her capital 'G's can look a bit like 'S's..............May be you will be able to decipher the name or placename for me...............many thanks.....Elaine. I will try and get new ink for my printer and print off clearer examples and re post them if it helps.

post-76734-0-68749600-1312974064.jpg

It might be better if you posted one page at a time Ellie, that way we may have larger images which to look at, they are too small in their present form.

regards

Tom

Ellie: The "S" in Nowy Swiat (4th image) and in Sophie (1st and 5th image) and in Stanislawowa (5th image) seem to match. However, the "S" in Studios (3rd image) doesn't. Given that, there are the words "Morawaska Planta" clearly written in the 2nd image and the "P" does not match the back of the card. Interestingly, for me personally, she has "Tusia Marowska" written above "Stanislawowa Grabkowska". Is Tusia Marowska the maiden name of Stanislawowa Grabkowska? As mentioned, my father's first wife, who died in childbirth in Lvov, was Stanislawa and her nickname was Tushka - same as Tusia.

Tomek: over to you. Antony

Thank you Antony....

Ok they are better copies now, the wife has had a quick look at the first one (she's on her way out to work) and a fairly quick transcript is...

Jaga (Mols?)(Jaga short for Jadwiga?) c/o Dr Przygody Sanatorium died Otwock, Poland

Sophie Morawska, Leonora Bochenska, Nadzow(place name), Powt(region), Prokowice(we think), woj(county), Kieleckie (from the name of the town of Kielce,(region))

Tusia Grabkowska(Tusia is a nickname)

Biorkow(?), powt Kocmyszow, woj Kieleckie

so ..........

Jaga Mols c/o Dr Przygody sanatorium died Otwock Poland

Sophie Morawska, Leonora Bochenska

Nadzow

powt Prokowice

woj Kieleckie

Tusia Grabowska

Biorkow(????)

powt Kocmyrzow

woj Kieleckie

n.b. Not sure of the first Surname (Mols??)also Biorkow as a place name..will check again tomorrow.

Right , I'll have to leave the rest until tomorrow when the wife will be free to have a go at the rest which appear to be much easier to read.

regards

Tom

p,s. this looks like one of the people mentioned in one of the later posts......

http://thepeerage.com/p6807.htm#i68064

late post..... there is a Borkow near Kielce in Poland, they must have dropped the "i" from the name after the war...Biorkow....now Borkow.

Is this Planta 1919???

post-5284-0-37541300-1313079314.jpg

regards

Tom

I am so confused, there are 4 villages called planta, 2 in the north east, 1 in the east and 1 in south central...........I know my aunt was in Lublin at some stage (east) but also in Kielce (south central) and that is in the Municipality of Iwaniska. Polish geography and history must be a nightmare to do in school. But it is very interesting. I think I will have to get myself a large map of Poland and put little stickers on it to keep track of her (the aunt)

I found a Dr Jozef Przygoda located in Otwock, southeast of Warsaw (24km). It was a sanatorium, 'Already in 1895, the first sanatorium for Jews, created by Józef Przygoda, a medical assistant, started to function as far as World War II; later run by his son Władysław (at 5 Warszawska St.)' no idea where that street could be, Poland is a big country. http://www.fodz.pl/PP/?d=8&id=213&l=en

His son Dr Wladyslaw Przygoda took over in 1907 until 1939,(he had fought in the 1920 war) then the Germans took it over and it became part of the Ghetto, after that the Jewish population were sent to the extermination camp at Treblinka. http://books.google.ie/books?id=yBMRwr8aX9kC&dq=Dr+Wladyslaw+Przygody&sitesec=reviews (his name is spelt with a 'y' at the end not an 'a')

I had seen that peerage site, I have no idea who or how she knew these people, her address book is full of counts and countesses.............as far as i know she worked as a teacher (English, French, Polish and music)

Polish names are confusing and difficult for non Polish people I suspect............

Thanks for all the help.......

Ellie: Przygody is correct. I wasn't aware of the Jewish connection but Amelie Cohn would certainly be a Jewish name. I think that Planta as a place name is probably what is written on the photograph and that it was not written by your great-aunt, rather by Sophie Morawska herself. A person of your great-aunt's adventurous and apparently independent spirit would be travelling in the class of officers and intelligentsia in Poland of the time and her knowing various counts and countesses is not unusual - especially if she was teaching language and music. The world was a very different place. Ceszc, Antony

Ellie, remember when you look for a map of Poland you want a pre-WW2 map as there were enormous changes after the war, here is the link to a site with hundreds of early maps of regions of Poland.....

http://english.mapywig.org/viewpage.php?page_id=6

regards

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I have two images of the railway station at Kielce during ww1 - one with Russian troops and the other with Austrian troops. Sorry to be thick but How do I add images to a posting?

• 8 years later...