Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Minden Post by Carnoy

unitedsound

This is tremendous. Well done.

Some excellent comparisons including Minden post in this clip put together by someone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWvfO9SEoUE

Thanks for this link. As part of our annual school trip to the Somme Battlefields we visit all of the sites shown in this video this will make an excellent resource to show to the students prior to visiting the sites. It always amazes me how little the general landscape has changed over such a time period, with woodlands, copses ,hedgerows, tracks and roadways being reinstated to their pre war layout.

Doug.

Thanks from me also 303man.

Really enjoyed this short film. A nice piece of research and well presented.

Cheers all.

• 2 years later...

This is a very interesting article on Mindon Post which I have driven past many times over the years. Now I know the exact location, I shall be visiting this year.

Also, what a fantastic piece of work by 'Damian' and all praise due to him.

I am also interested in the Carnoy Front Line start positions on 1st July and where Billie Neville and his men kicked footballs. Anyone know the location ?

There seems to be a lack of tench maps available online showing the start positions or where the East Surrey's where located.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a very interesting article on Mindon Post which I have driven past many times over the years. Now I know the exact location, I shall be visiting this year.

Also, what a fantastic piece of work by 'Damian' and all praise due to him.

I am also interested in the Carnoy Front Line start positions on 1st July and where Billie Neville and his men kicked footballs. Anyone know the location ?

There seems to be a lack of tench maps available online showing the start positions or where the East Surrey's where located.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battles/battles-of-the-western-front-in-france-and-flanders/the-battles-of-the-somme-1916/the-capture-and-defence-of-montauban-1-13-july-1916/

Scroll down Offical Map E Surreys jumped off left of Talous Bois

Thanks 303Man.... I will be there next week so will have mooch around the left side of the wood.

Much appreciated.

KR

'Joe' Toy

Again MANY thanks 303man.

Looking at the current map on Google mapping, there appears to be a 'track' that may give access to the exact spot. I am going with a friend to the Somme on 3rd April 2016 who happens to be a native of Liverpool and of course, very interested in the 'Kings' so knowing 'Billie' Neville and his footballs were next door so to speak, will be of great interest to him.

:)

'Joe' Toy

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

So was Minden Post on the north side of the road or the south. I take it the culvert seen in Mallins film is still there. I having watched the films am convinced it was on the southside of the road as it seems to me the woods seen in the film in the background are still there.

1 hour ago, djs120853 said:

So was Minden Post on the north side of the road or the south. I take it the culvert seen in Mallins film is still there. I having watched the films am convinced it was on the southside of the road as it seems to me the woods seen in the film in the background are still there.

It's to the South of the D938 Road. The Culvert is still there and goes right through the hill to the opposite side of the road. There is easy access to both sides of the culvert/hill. I'd imagine there is no permanent public access as occasionally I've found the gate at the Minden Post side closed likely by the farmer. At the Minden post side of the road, as far as I remember, there is a fence in front of the culvert but at the opposite side it's in the trees and easier accessed.

1926864670_Screenshot2019-03-20at15_17_08.png.efbf1b2498499d13b066b85307711952.png

• 3 years later...

Hello all. Was in the area yesterday and found the culvert too. Hope this is not a too stupid question but what was the purpose of this culvert? 

Edit: have to learn to  look at the given information first, was mentioned in the movie, I had little idea of it but was far from sure. Amazing film. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Linkert

2 hours ago, Linkert said:

Hello all. Was in the area yesterday and found the culvert too. Hope this is not a too stupid question but what was the purpose of this culvert? 

Edit: have to learn to  look at the given information first, was mentioned in the movie, I had little idea of it but was far from sure. Amazing film. Thanks for sharing!

Not sure of its original use other than access or drainage but in 2021 it was well hidden by tree growth and new fencing, Ian.

7 minutes ago, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

Not sure of its original use other than access or drainage but in 2021 it was well hidden by tree growth and new fencing, Ian.

We went through the northern part. It was impossible to go through the southern part unless we went over the fence but didn't do that put of respect for the owner (and the horses in the meadow :D).

1 hour ago, Linkert said:

We went through the northern part. It was impossible to go through the southern part unless we went over the fence but didn't do that put of respect for the owner (and the horses in the meadow :D).

Aye, Northern part is better, thinking on- something tells me it was built by the Allies for evacuation purposes, so the enemy could not see what was going on, other members might be able to clarify,Ian.

On 18/09/2022 at 21:16, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

Aye, Northern part is better, thinking on- something tells me it was built by the Allies for evacuation purposes, so the enemy could not see what was going on, other members might be able to clarify,Ian.

Yes, sounds logical indeed :-)

307371057_10227307851377754_6907937703213974632_n.jpg

307646537_10227307871138248_3235355200428959540_n.jpg