Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Minden Post by Carnoy

unitedsound

Has anyone established the size of Minden Post?

Are there any maps or aerials showing the location?

Hi Unitedsound.

MInden Post appears on map 62dNE2 Meaultein sq 17d and 18c.

Here is a Ggogle earth/trench map overlay. Minden Post iod the triangular feature to the left of Caftet Wood.

Regards. Dave

post-66135-0-75350400-1312358811.jpg

Dave

Many thanks.

I was thinking that it was at the Carnoy end of Caftet Wood.

I wonder if I could ask you if you could also overlay the railway line as it passes the east end of Carnoy?

David

It's actually marked as "Minston post" on this map extract from "Linesman"...

regards

Tom

post-5284-0-07432000-1312406296.jpg

Hi Unitedsound.

I've done another overlay of the railway that ran to the east of Carnoy as requested. I hope it is the one you wanted, it's the only one in fact. It was the original French railway that ran to the south then the east of Carnoy to the left of Talus Boise. To the north of Talus Boise there remains in the fields to the South of Montauban the embankment where the old line went. To the west of Carnoy it ran just to the north of Caftet wood. The Line in the RE Trace drawing above is a trench railway that conected Lucknow Redoubt and the Citadel. Regards, Dave

I always appreciate when you folks post these maps and overlays. I've been comparing the material to the shots taken by Malins on July 1. Very interestin.

thank you

peter

Dave

Many thanks for second overlay which I'll use in September.

Thanks also to Tom.

David

• 5 months later...

Just to confirm - Minden post was within the triangle on the other side of the D938 from Caftet Wood.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the clarification Mick.

Sorry, my comment was a summary of what I thought I had learned from the thread, I was seeking confirmation, not giving it !

I was hoping you could confirm it.

Mick

Mick

In post 4 there is an unusual (trench?) shape under Annexe B.

A similiar shape can be seen in the google overlay in post 2.

So this suggests to me that MP was on the south side of today's D938 (in the triangle across from Caftet Wood).

When I was there in September, standing at the Shrine, it struck me that it was considerably safer place to be ie. across the road.

That was assuming that the German machine guns could reach that far from the Shrine.

I've been unable to find any detail on Minden Post in books ie when it was established and disbanded.

I've seen the video footage but would appreciate more detail as I suspect my Great Uncle may have been taken there after Longueval.

David

David,

I've been in that area many times and never been certain of exactly where it was. When I'm next over I intend to visit the location that I suspect was Minden Post, I also have seen the film footage from the 'Battle of The Somme' of the area, and would like to visit the spot as it is today.

Mick

Just checked my book 'Ghosts on the Somme' and it indicates it as being in the spot mentioned.

Mick

• 7 months later...

Can anyone hazard a guess please as to where Caftet Wood is in relation to this image?

TIA

David

post-34757-0-08411200-1346089205_thumb.j

I would guess, and I am no expert, but from visits there, noting the maps above and reading "Ghosts on the Somme" that the wood is on the right of the photo. There are stills in Ghosts on the Somme of shelling of the German lines taken from the area near Mansel Copse and the landscape in the distance would appear to match that of the rough ground being shelled. Again, just a guess though.... Others more knowledgeable will hopefully pipe up as I am intrigued as well after reading the above posts. I note that Middelbrook's guidebook seems to place it across the (present) road and thus a little further southwest of the wood.

Thanks for responding Conner.

I had my eye on the top left of the photo for a long time, but that is changing.

Malins photographed the junction which takes you down to Carnoy, so I suppose it makes more sense to be photographing within MInden Post close to that point.

The earthwork removal before or after the war looks remarkable as I don't think that the landscape today looks anything like that in the black and white image.

I'll be there in 3 weeks time.

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing my obsession with Minden Post!

The undernoted photograph was taken in Carnoy Valley. I think that the tree in the distance (above the gun nozzle) is the same tree as in the centre of the image in post number 15.

So the howitzer is sitting in front of Caftet Wood facing Mametz - maybe!

post-34757-0-67035000-1346958116_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

That is simply stunning; we owe Daman big style.

Bernard, just looking at it now from a location just 253 km from Mosman. Easily viewed and well worth watching. I'll watch the full video after work. PM me ...