Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help a newbie: researching Albert Hunt (20660)

Guest Traubrey

Guest Traubrey

Good morning

I am looking for a little help. I only discovered two days ago that my great grandfather served with the 12th Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters, winning a trio of medals and being mentioned in despatches once.

I have his medal index card, but I am seeking advice on how to find out more about the man, such as what action he was involved with to warrant his mention on despatches.

I am not asking for lots of free help and research but more a guiding hand on where are the best spots to look for any any hints and shortcuts that will be invaluable and save me time.

Naturally, if you do have any information on him then I would be appreciative, of course.

Many thanks and enjoy your Sunday.

Raymond

• 2 years later...
Guest Shaun Patrick

Good morning

I am looking for a little help. I only discovered two days ago that my great grandfather served with the 12th Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters, winning a trio of medals and being mentioned in despatches once.

I have his medal index card, but I am seeking advice on how to find out more about the man, such as what action he was involved with to warrant his mention on despatches.

I am not asking for lots of free help and research but more a guiding hand on where are the best spots to look for any any hints and shortcuts that will be invaluable and save me time.

Naturally, if you do have any information on him then I would be appreciative, of course.

Many thanks and enjoy your Sunday.

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

see the following:

I am hoping you may be able to offer some advice in my search for details of my Great Grandfather, Albert Hunt 20660 Nottingham and Derby reg.

Our family have a document signed by Churchill, Minister for defense during WW1 awarding him the Victoria Cross. He returned from no man’s land carrying a fellow soldier who had been injured

I cannot find his name in your logs however and believe I know why. During his time in the trenches Albert killed an allied solder in a fist fight. (We know he was a heavy drinking miner on whom bets were placed during fights.) The result of the man’s death was that Albert was given the option of 'going over the top' to avoid military retribution.

Any information to clarify or dispute the story as told to me would be helpful, thank you.

This was a letter composed for the Millatary records office it may be of use to you. I would be interested in seeing thoes medical records.

which branch of the family are you with? Shaun

Shaun Wells ( Hunt / Bowler/ Wells)

Shaun

The Victoria Cross Index on Ancestry UK has no entry for an Albert HUNT. Could he have been recommended for the VC but actually got a Mention in Despatches as posted by Raymond ?

Raymond hasn't actually been active on the Forum since July 2011, so may well not see this.

Churchill wasn't "Minister for defense" in the Great War: according to Wki he became Secretary of State for War after 1918, so not sure what the document you have is.

As sotonmate has noted, it seems Albert Hunt didn't get a VC, and call me a cynic but the story about the fist fight and being sent Over the Top as an alternative to punishment sounds a bit like family myth. The er seems to have been no Hunt who won a VC, closest being Hunter (Highland Light Infantry).

Can you post a scan of the certificate from Churchill?

When were the Victory medals sent out? If after Churchill's appointment as Secretary of State for War, might his name have been on the accompanying paperwork?

That sounds a reasonable question/assumption, Mr Gunner.

Hi Raymond,

see the following:

I am hoping you may be able to offer some advice in my search for details of my Great Grandfather, Albert Hunt 20660 Nottingham and Derby reg.

Our family have a document signed by Churchill, Minister for defense during WW1 awarding him the Victoria Cross. He returned from no man’s land carrying a fellow soldier who had been injured

I cannot find his name in your logs however and believe I know why. During his time in the trenches Albert killed an allied solder in a fist fight. (We know he was a heavy drinking miner on whom bets were placed during fights.) The result of the man’s death was that Albert was given the option of 'going over the top' to avoid military retribution.

Any information to clarify or dispute the story as told to me would be helpful, thank you.

This was a letter composed for the Millatary records office it may be of use to you. I would be interested in seeing thoes medical records.

which branch of the family are you with? Shaun

Shaun Wells ( Hunt / Bowler/ Wells)

Hi Shaun,

I am curious where your Wells branch hails from? I have a very large number of Wells folks in my family, the English connection being with this fellow, who originally hails from Norwich, Norfolk:

http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:William_Wells_%281%29

He came to America, settled on Long Island and the family remains here to this day.

-Daniel

• 4 weeks later...

Still hoping for a response from Shaun. With interest mounting during the Centenary, there are bound to be more 'family legends' coming to light. In this case, we can be sure that Albert Hunt was not awarded the VC, and we may never get to the bottom of the story about him killing another man in a fist-fight, but it seems that when the 'best' and the 'worst' of his story are stripped away, his descendants have a man who received (and kept) a 1914-1915 Star trio and an MiD, of whom they can be proud. And further research may yet reveal more about him.

Guest Shaun Patrick

I think so, but let's see what emerges when Shaun responds, and hopefully posts a scan of the document.

I will be visiting the family in the next few weeks, I will attempt to borrow the document and scan in a copy to the computer.

• 1 month later...
Guest Traubrey

Hi everyone

I only found the thread again when I did a search of my great grandfather's regiment number as I thought this lead had gone cold.

I know that Albert was mentioned in despatches as I have seen a bad photocopy of the document. The story I heard was that he brought back an injured soldier from no man's land.

I, too, have also heard of a tale of drink, fighting and killing someone but this version was over a game of cards with a Frenchman. It is probably a myth but that came from his nephew. I have a photo of Albert and can vouch that he looks like he could kill several people at once.

I understand that upon his return from war he threw away his medals, but kept the MID document.

I only found out that he served in the war around the time of my post so I'm rightly proud that he served his country.

Thanks for the help and additional information. Please get in touch Shaun. Sounds like we have much to discuss.

Ray