Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders

Guest NMac

Hello to all,

I am looking for any help or assistance that you may be able to provide.

I am trying to gather as much information as possible on my Grandfather who I believe served with the 2nd Battlion, Gordon Highlander's during the 1st World War.

The information I have been able to gather so far is that he was deployed (date of entry) on 07.10.14 which ties in with the 2nd Battalion which served in Flannders and France before the Battalions was deployed to Italy Nov '16 but I do not have any specific details on whewre they were posted or fought during this period. According to his records was awarded the Victory, British and Star Medals as well as the Military Medal which was 'Gazetted' on 19th January 1917, suggesting that the events leading to this took place approx Sept / Oct 1916.

I would be grateful if anyone can provide me with any further information on the 2nd Battalion, where they served during WWI and where i can possibly find any information as to why my Grandfather was awarded the Military Medal.

My thanks to you all in advance.

I can help a little with the early war history from Ray Westlake's "British Battalions in France and Belgium" (from the war diaries). In August the 2 Gordons were stationed at Cairo, returned to England 1st Oct. and joined 20 Brigade of 7 Division forming at Lyndhurst, embarked on S.S. Lake Michigan and S.S. Minneapolis for Zeebrugge on 4th Oct. and arrived (as you say) on the 7th. Spent the next few days covering the retirement of the Belgians from Antwerp and then withdrew to Ypres, involved in heavy fighting there, by 1 Nov. the battalion was down to 3 officers and 200 other ranks, moved to Fleurbaix sector on 14 Nov. and received a reinforcement of 1 officer and around 300 other ranks on the 16th. During December they were in and out of the trenches with "heavy rain and trenches flooded and full of liquid mud."

You should consider re-posting this in the "Soldiers" section of the forum with the name and service number of your relative, there are other members that have a great deal of knowledge regarding medals etc. that might not find your request here.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Hello All

My grandfathjer Private Hugh Guthrie 7186 was I understand in the 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders in WW1. He was a POW, although I know very little more. I have seen his name on a listing in the Aberdeen and District Prisoners of War Bureau stating he was in the 1st Battalion. He came fropm Dundee, and so I am surprised he did not join the local regiment the Black Watch. Why he went u to Aberdeen is a mystery. Can anyoine give me any hints as to how to find out more information on when he joined, and/or where he was d

eployed in WW1. Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi sandym you may do better to start a thread from new more people might take a look, meanwhile welcome aboard below is link to his mic listing him as 1st Bat overseas 13/8/14 and noted as pow.john

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=MedalRolls&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=hugh&gsln=guthrie&gskw=7186&dbOnly=_F0003FD8%7c_F0003FD8_x%2c_F0003FD9%7c_F0003FD9_x&uidh=ajh&pcat=39&fh=0&h=10946503&recoff=9+10