Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th trench mortar battery april/may 1918

ludwig113

hi all,

i'm trying to find out where the 11th trench mortar battery were in april and may 1918.

i worked out that they were in 4 division under 11 brigade and that they were formed in june 1916.

its possible they were at Arras in march 1918 and/or the battle of Lys in april 1918.

many thanks in advance.

paul

I am assuming you mean the 11th Canadian Trench Mortar Battery.

You can review the pages of the Battery's war Diary here: War diaries - 11th Brigade, Trench Mortar Battery

That set of links, however, shows very few pages and does not cover 1918.

You may do better reading the War Diary of the 11th Canadian Infantry Brigade for references to the Mortar Battery.

War diaries - 11th Canadian Infantry Brigade; Outside Dates: 1918/03/01-1918/05/31

thanks for those links, but as far as i know its the british 11th trench mortar batt.

cheers paul

I am assuming you mean the 11th Canadian Trench Mortar Battery.

You can review the pages of the Battery's war Diary here: War diaries - 11th Brigade, Trench Mortar Battery

That set of links, however, shows very few pages and does not cover 1918.

You may do better reading the War Diary of the 11th Canadian Infantry Brigade for references to the Mortar Battery.

War diaries - 11th Canadian Infantry Brigade; Outside Dates: 1918/03/01-1918/05/31

This TM bty was part of 11 Brigade of the 4th Division. The Long Long Trail web site will give an indication of what that division was doing at the date you mention. I have read the war diary of the TM btys in the 18th Division and found that they were sketchy and that there were lots of gaps. The TM btys were wartime creations and I have the impression that they had little time or effort available for tasks like keeping war diaries.

Old Tom

This TM bty was part of 11 Brigade of the 4th Division. The Long Long Trail web site will give an indication of what that division was doing at the date you mention. I have read the war diary of the TM btys in the 18th Division and found that they were sketchy and that there were lots of gaps. The TM btys were wartime creations and I have the impression that they had little time or effort available for tasks like keeping war diaries.

Old Tom

thanks for the long long trail link old tom,i think i've narrowed it down to the battle of bethune.

many thanks paul

• 5 months later...
Guest halfpint

Hi Paul

I have just read this thread and would like to be cheeky and ask if the soldier you are researching could by any chance be Casson Stephenson who died on 22nd May 1918 who is a close ancestor of mine.

If so I would love to be in contact with you

Regards

Half Pint

• 1 year later...

Hi Paul

I have just read this thread and would like to be cheeky and ask if the soldier you are researching could by any chance be Casson Stephenson who died on 22nd May 1918 who is a close ancestor of mine.

If so I would love to be in contact with you

Regards

Half Pint

hi very sorry i never saw this reply at the time, i'm not looking for c stephenson.

paul