Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nD Ypres-where were the nearest CCS and Base Hospitals

yelob

It looks like one of the men I'm researching was wounded at 2nd Ypres,I have looked at the list of CCS and Base hospitals but can't figure out the most likely ones.If anyone can help I'd be grateful.

Thanks,Liam

As far as Base Hospitals went, there was no 'nearest.' From a CCS a man would be put on an ambulance train and go wherever the train stopped, which might be several times. He could end up in a hospital anywhere from Boulogne to Trouville and all points in between, except that the most seriously injured were less likely to do the longest journey.

Sue

Edit: Definitely NOT Trouville at the time of 2nd Ypres - finish at Le Havre!

No 5 CCS 15/4/15 and No 3 CCS 27/4/15 at Poperinghe, moved up from Hazebrouck.

Hazebrouck No 10 CCS and No 4 CCS both from April 1915.

John

Thanks very much to you both.Out of interest where would/did the patient records from the CCS's and Hospitals end up or is it possible to access them anymore?

I've got a few notes about this on my website - click on the link to medical records at the bottom of my posts.

Sue

Thanks for that Sue and also for your website which is really informative.

Don't forget the Canadians! Check the online free official medical history of the CEF:

https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/.../ ...

This gives you the full 533 pages simple text version of the McPhail history published in Ottawa in 1925.

http://www.archive.org/details/medicalservices00macpuoft

The above link gives your the archive.org various formated online for free as well verison of the same 1925 official medical history.

John

Toronto

Rather too early I think for Canadian Casualty Clearing Stations - just No.1 open at Aire, from March 1915, so not so close for Ypres.

Sue

Hiya

When i was researching my GGrandads service with the ASC / 84th FA at 2nd Ypres etc i obtained from the medical Museum near Aldershot photocopy of pages concerning 2nd Ypres & medical set-up. The details are taken from the Medical services general history (HMSO 1923) & plot the variouse locations of medical posts as they were forced to move during the fighting. If you feel they will be of use i can mail copies of them them to you no problem if unable to locate said publication online. The canadian archives are also an excellent source of info, i found maps etc showing CCS location at Verlorenhoek that i had been searching for (In my old threads).

Regards

Bob

Rather too early I think for Canadian Casualty Clearing Stations - just No.1 open at Aire, from March 1915, so not so close for Ypres.

Sue

I agree and thus practically all the Canadians were evacuated via British BEF lines of communicaiton medical evacution during the battle.

An interesting point related to which is the quick build up of CEF generally and the medical services in particular combined with Sam Hughes adamant position

of wilfully segregating Canadian CEF casualties from British ones.

John