Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When did the British Army adopt Khaki ?

SteveMarsdin

Who are you to close down discussion?

I have not closed down discussion, nor have I any intention of doing so. My response was to a specific individual and related to the original poster's precise (and simple) query, which did not ask a convoluted question about different types of cloth, but merely sought information about the overall 'colour' of uniform. If you wish to debate twills, serges, baratheas, shades of colour and the like, you are of course at liberty to do so. No doubt the minutiae will greatly interest the OP, as that is most surely what he was so clearly seeking, wasn't it?

Avoiding controversy, I looked in Donovan Jackson's splendid little book, India's Army, which has a brief appendix on Khaki.

As quoted above, Jackson gives Harry Lumsden as the progenitor:

No attempt at uniformity appears to have been made unti the Corps (of Guides) had been in existence for more than a year, when were adopted a smock and wide pyjama trousers made of coarse home-spun cotton material, a cotton turban, and over all in cold weather, jerkins of sheepskin and wadded cotton jackets. All were dyed locally with the product of a dwarf palm known as mazari, which possessed the property of colouring white cloth a drabbish grey; an indigenous meathod of producing camouflage clothing developed by the tribesmen as a result of constant vendettas and domestic wars.. The leather jackets however, dyed unsuccessfully with mazari, so mulberry juice was used instead, which produced a yellowy drab shade. This was the origin of drab or khaki uniform.

Jackson then comments that all the units of the Punjab frontier Force (save Coke's Rifles - the 55th Rifles) took up the use of khaki, and that practically all units raised during the Mutiny (1857-58) wore it. He also states that Her Majesty's 52nd (later 2nd Ox & Bucks LI) took to using khaki a Sialkot on 25th May, 1857, and that HM 32nd (later 1st DCLI) "dyed their white uniforms an earth colour to make themselves less conspicuous" at Lucknow in July 1857.

However, he claims the 2nd HLI (HM 74th) "wore drill doublets so coloured" during the Kaffir War (in S Africa) of 1851-53.

After the Mutiny, khaki went out of general use in India, but was reintroduced as working dress in the great reforms of 1861, then abolished in favour of white three years later. In 1878-1890 Afghan war, white drill, dyed khaki on the spot by units was in general use, and after this war khaki became official service dress in India:

It was dyed regimentally, all kinds of pigments being used for the purpose - tea, coffee, mud, curry powder. Each corps had its own recipe, some of which smelt high to heaven when dyeing operations were in progress.

Fast-dyed khakis invented by Spinners of Manchester were patented in 1884, but were not adopted in India for some years, The Queen's Own Corps of Guides continuing to dye their own until 1902.

Jackson then states that grey was the the first British choice for active service, "and soldiery so dressedwere sent to Egypt to serve alongside khaki-clad troops from India during the campaigns of 1880-82"

He believes that the Sudan campaign of 1897-98 was the one in which khaki was the first in which all troops were uniformly dressed in khaki.

Finally, Hobson Jobson gives Khakee (vulgarly Kharki) as a Hindi word for "dusty or dust-coloured" from a persian word, Khak, meaning "earth" or "dust". First British use given is a book title of 1858, "Service and Adventures with the Khakee Rissalah, or Meerut Volunteer Horse during the Mutinies of 1857-58" by R H W Dunlop.

Good afternoon All,

Back to my original post, I don't know specifically why my friend wanted to know but knowing his field of interest I suspect it was to make comparison with the development (or lack of it) of the French infantry uniform to August 1914. Next time we're in touch, I'll ask him.

Once again, many thanks for all the responses.

He believes that the Sudan campaign of 1897-98 was the one in which khaki was the first in which all troops were uniformly dressed in khaki.

It could be argued that the last part of the 2nd Afghan war is in fact the first such instance as all the white issue summer uniforms were stained khaki (using tea). Some troops went on to the 1st Anglo Boer war wearing their khaki jackets from Afghanistan.

The reason that generations of historians reached the conclusion that the first war where all were clad in khaki/grey was the (latter part of) the Anglo/Sudan War, is because in the 2nd Afghan War there was a mix of grey and khaki and other colours, and the battle of opinions as to which of the two 'camouflage' colours was best was still ongoing. There were also native troops, including cavalry and artillery still in Imperial coloured uniforms at that time. The original information given in this thread was correct.

post-599-0-43526900-1312037526.jpg

Staff at the 2nd Afghanistan War Field HQ with very little khaki in sight.

post-599-0-86123500-1312055590.jpg

And the recorded 'mixed' dress of an English (county regiment) infantry battalion during 2nd Afghanistan War.

post-599-0-83918700-1312055806.jpg

• 1 month later...

Although khaki was general issue some years befor the Great War, the Regiments of the Household Cavalry did not appear in it until 1913. Indeed, on moving to France in August 1914 some Household Cavalrymen had still not been issued with Greatcoats and took their Cavalry Cloaks (See attachment for ORs Cloak). In the first winter of the war some Household Cavalrymen recounted how they had to manouvere, dismounted, wearing these cloaks (1st and 2nd Life Guards, red with different collars; RHG, blue) in the trenches. I think that this means that the last time elements of the British army fought in red was the 1st and 2nd Life Guards in that first winter of the war.

post-79798-0-64078800-1315792314.jpg

Although khaki was general issue some years befor the Great War, the Regiments of the Household Cavalry did not appear in it until 1913. Indeed, on moving to France in August 1914 some Household Cavalrymen had still not been issued with Greatcoats and took their Cavalry Cloaks (See attachment for ORs Cloak). In the first winter of the war some Household Cavalrymen recounted how they had to manouvere, dismounted, wearing these cloaks (1st and 2nd Life Guards, red with different collars; RHG, blue) in the trenches. I think that this means that the last time elements of the British army fought in red was the 1st and 2nd Life Guards in that first winter of the war.

I suppose it depends on how you define red uniforms, but that is indeed an interesting anecdote, albeit that it is not quite true that it was the first time the HC were in khaki. They had formed an element of the 'Heavy' part of the Camel Corps during the Anglo/Sudan war and, for that duty, wore a mixed uniform of grey frock and khaki breeches and helmet. Being HG they did insist on winding a scarlet cloth through their pagri though, giving a striped effect to their helmets. The last use of red tunics in battle was at the battle of Ginnis (or Gennis) on 30 December 1885.

The HC also sent a 550 man unit, in khaki, to the 2nd Anglo Boer war in November 1899. Interestingly only one of the mounts that they took with them from Britain survived to return home. His name was Freddy. He finally retired in 1905, and lived out his days in comfort in Combermere Barracks, Windsor until his death in 1911 at the age of eighteen. He is buried at Combermere Barracks in a plot alongside the former parade ground.

post-599-0-44613200-1315823229.jpg

A very interesting post SQMC, and a very fine photograph!

The last use of red tunics in battle was at the battle of Ginnis (or Gennis) on 30 December 1885.

I think they were probably frocks?

Yes, a slip of the pen, they were indeed frocks, the men were hardly on parade. Interestingly they were worn purposefully as a matter of policy, even though khaki was available, as it had been suggested via 'intelligence assessments' that the Mahdist tribesmen were somehow in awe of 'Regular' British troops rather than the Egyptian troops against whom they had also been fighting. Investigation via interrogation after the campaign indicated that the Hadendowa (or Hadendoa) had not the first clue as to the difference in terms of uniform!

I was supposing we were refering to Khaki SD. I would fully agree that the Regiments did wear items in khaki.

With regard to Freedie he was awarded the Boer War medal. The death toll among the horses was devastating. Only one horse that had sailed out with them lived to return. That was Freddy, who had joined the 2nd Life Guards as a four-year-old in 1897. He took part in every action in which the regiment was engaged, covered 1,780 miles, always ridden by Corporal of Horse Stephens, and had only forty-eight days off. Unperturbed by his ordeals - the only sign of which was a rather short tail, as his original one had been eaten by flies on the veldt - he became the lead horse in the Household Cavalry Musical Ride and was introduced to Queen Alexandra at the Royal Tournament. She asked why he had no campaign medal, and imme­diately demanded he be awarded one. A rather stuffy War Office finally agreed and Freddy wore the medal with clasps on his breastplate. He finally retired from duty in 1905, but continued to live in the barracks in Windsor until his death in 1911, when he was buried under the Regimental Square.

With the new build his remains were disinterred and reburied in front of the memorial opposite the present Guardroom

I suppose it depends on how you define red uniforms, but that is indeed an interesting anecdote, albeit that it is not quite true that it was the first time the HC were in khaki. They had formed an element of the 'Heavy' part of the Camel Corps during the Anglo/Sudan war and, for that duty, wore a mixed uniform of grey frock and khaki breeches and helmet. Being HG they did insist on winding a scarlet cloth through their pagri though, giving a striped effect to their helmets. The last use of red tunics in battle was at the battle of Ginnis (or Gennis) on 30 December 1885.

The HC also sent a 550 man unit, in khaki, to the 2nd Anglo Boer war in November 1899. Interestingly only one of the mounts that they took with them from Britain survived to return home. His name was Freddy. He finally retired in 1905, and lived out his days in comfort in Combermere Barracks, Windsor until his death in 1911 at the age of eighteen. He is buried at Combermere Barracks in a plot alongside the former parade ground.

post-79798-0-68009400-1315841908.jpg

I was supposing we were refering to Khaki SD. I would fully agree that the Regiments did wear items in khaki.

With regard to Freedie he was awarded the Boer War medal. The death toll among the horses was devastating. Only one horse that had sailed out with them lived to return. That was Freddy, who had joined the 2nd Life Guards as a four-year-old in 1897. He took part in every action in which the regiment was engaged, covered 1,780 miles, always ridden by Corporal of Horse Stephens, and had only forty-eight days off. Unperturbed by his ordeals - the only sign of which was a rather short tail, as his original one had been eaten by flies on the veldt - he became the lead horse in the Household Cavalry Musical Ride and was introduced to Queen Alexandra at the Royal Tournament. She asked why he had no campaign medal, and imme­diately demanded he be awarded one. A rather stuffy War Office finally agreed and Freddy wore the medal with clasps on his breastplate. He finally retired from duty in 1905, but continued to live in the barracks in Windsor until his death in 1911, when he was buried under the Regimental Square.

With the new build his remains were disinterred and reburied in front of the memorial opposite the present Guardroom

I see now in what context you meant it, but because this thread was about the generic use of khaki and your comment appeared to be relating to that I felt it best to mention the earlier use.

Freddy must have had an extraordinary constitution and level of fitness to have survived all the trials and tribulations that he did.

Apparently the only thing that showed from his South African adventures was a thin and short tail.

At my stage of life it's more geriatric than generic.(Formerly 3 Troop, The Life Guards Mounted Squadron, pre-dates HCMR)

Good comments all round, it's the only we learn especially the more esoteric facts.

I see now in what context you meant it, but because this thread was about the generic use of khaki and your comment appeared to be relating to that I felt it best to mention the earlier use.

Freddy must have had an extraordinary constitution and level of fitness to have survived all the trials and tribulations that he did.

Apparently the only thing that showed from his South African adventures was a thin and short tail.

At my stage of life it's more geriatric than generic.(Formerly 3 Troop, The Life Guards Mounted Squadron, pre-dates HCMR)

Good comments all round, it's the only we learn especially the more esoteric facts.

Good luck to you, I am old enough and served long enough to see your unit on parade, and very fine they were too. It's good to see there are quite a few serving and former soldiers, sailors, airmen in the forum, in addition to the historians, collectors and 're-enactors'. It is indeed a broad church here.