Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Questions continued

genegwf

Now for two more questions, McCudden writes about bombing some Zeppelin hangars in Brussels, do these structures structures still exist? And the last question, he writes about operating from an airfield near Albert. Does anyone know the location of this airfield?

Thanks in advance,

Gene

Does anyone know the location of this airfield?

Gene, To my knowledge the closest allied airfield to Albert was at Baizieux, about six miles due west of Albert.

Regards

Steve

I think you're talking about a raid on August 2nd 1916. This was McCudden's last operations with 20 Squadron before being posted to 29 Squadron. At this time 20 Squadron was based at Clairmarais which is just north east of St Omer and about 70 miles from Albert.

The zeppelin sheds were probably the ones at St Evere. They were destroyed once and rebuilt but did survive the war. I don't know what happened to them afterwards.

Nigel

Gene, In my first reply I assumed that the two questions were unrelated. If the latter pertains to McCudden's operations towards the end of his book (viz. 1918), then the aerodrome would still most likely be Baizieux, as from 21 Jan 1918 to 25 Mar 1918, his squadron, No 56, was based there. In none of McCudden's other postings was the squadron based anywhere near Albert.

Regards

Steve

I agree with Steve, McCudden's only posting near Albert would have been Baizieux in the first three months of 1918.

Nigel