Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots Regiment?

Pavster1980

Hello All

I'm on the scrounge again. I have recently descovered that my grandfathers uncle was in the Royal Scots. The only info I have is what his wedding certificate says which is:

George Harold Hathaway Drummer Royal Scots Regiment. George was born in Otley West Yorkshire on the 1st Feb 1894. George married Amelia Elizabeth Crickmere, daughter of George Frederick Crickmere the Jockey, on 25th Nov 1918. This is all the information I have at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks in advance

Rich

There is a public Family Tree on Ancestry, doesn't sound as if you know of it...

Born 1st Feb 1894, parents Thomas and Esther Amelia Crickmere, baptised 27 September 1896 at All Saints Otley, (same place as Marriage) died 3rd Qtr 1978 registered in Wharfdale.

There is a Medal Index Card for Private 17323 Private George Hathaway, 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers who entered France 21/6/15, thus qualifying for '15 Star, BW and Victory medals. It notes he was Demobilised, so obviously survived... Other Pals will have to help to tie that to "your" George....

George sounds a fast worker, getting married within 2 weeks of the Armistice, so seems he was already back in the UK, perhaps wounded?

Ah! perhaps he was Private 20871, enlisted 21/1/16 and discharged with SWB on 18/10/18? That gives sufficient time to get married and presumably he'd be in the UK for discharge. Only BW and V....

Ha ha ha think you found my tree on ancestry, George is one of 11, but this is all we know of his military career I meant. He did survive and ended up living in Harrogate.

Rich

Hi Rich

As Kevin highlighted does it say Royal Scots or Royal Scots Fusiliers?

They are two completely seperate regiments.

John

Hi Rich

As Kevin highlighted does it say Royal Scots or Royal Scots Fusiliers?

They are two completely seperate regiments.

John

All it says is Royal Scots Regiment. Will try and get a screen capture from ancestry, as it wil not let me save picture.

Rich

Here is the capture, as it happens Amelia was Georges cousin. Georges mother was called Esther Amelia Crickmere.

Rich

P.S. - It's a running joke here in Otley that all the families are releated, and that your grandmothers goat is your fathers half nephew etc . . . LOL

post-60087-0-74997100-1311697391.jpg

Here is George with his family, it is the only photo we can find of him, so it is of no use as he is not in uniform. Just thought I'd put a face to the name for you all. George is far left on the photo.

Rich

post-60087-0-99987500-1311698041.jpg

There is a Medal Index Card for Private 17323 Private George Hathaway, 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers who entered France 21/6/15, thus qualifying for '15 Star, BW and Victory medals. It notes he was Demobilised, so obviously survived... Other Pals will have to help to tie that to "your" George....

George sounds a fast worker, getting married within 2 weeks of the Armistice, so seems he was already back in the UK, perhaps wounded?

Ah! perhaps he was Private 20871, enlisted 21/1/16 and discharged with SWB on 18/10/18? That gives sufficient time to get married and presumably he'd be in the UK for discharge. Only BW and V....

Both of these men were Royal Scots Fusiliers, not Royal Scots, as Kevin correctly pointed out. But in the GW many people thought that the Royal Scots and the Royal Scots Fusiliers were the same regiment, just as they do today. I have written before on the Forum about the corespondance I have in which in October 1916 the War Office mistakenly attempt to post my grandfather (a 2nd Lieut in the Royal Scots Fusiliers) to 3rd Battalion Royal Scots.

So it is forgivable if whoever wrote your certificate did not appreciate that there were two seperate regiments with fairly similar names, any more than that administrator at the War Office :rolleyes:

Captain W F Templeton, the "poet laureate of the Royal Scots Fusiliers" (k.i.a. Cambrai 1918), after an action by the Royal Scots Fusiliers was credited in the newspapers to the Royal Scots, wrote a poem which includes this verse:

The Royal Scots are kinsmen whom we honour to a man,

And ever pay them tribute as our peers,

But we ask the powers that be to remember, if they can,

That the Royal Scots are not the Fusiliers.

William

.... nice photo and presumably her father, the jockey is on the far right??? laugh.gifl!!!

Is it pre war, as he looks rather younger than 24, when he married. Amelia was 32, which is a bit of an age gap....

no,no,:D the chap on the far right is my great grandad, Herbert Hathaway, but he was a Jockey for a little while as was his brother Walter who is second male on right, pirched on the chair arm.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Rich,

From the casualty lists for Scottish regiments published in The Scotsman:

18 May 1917: Private 17323 George Hathaway, RSF (Sutton-in-Ashfield) - wounded

16 Nov 1916 & 25 May 1917: Private 20871 George Hathaway, RSF (Leith) - wounded

So, no obvious Yorkshire connection.

Perhaps he was indeed Royal Scots but never served overseas with the regiment, so no MIC.

Stuart

Rich,

From the casualty lists for Scottish regiments published in The Scotsman:

18 May 1917: Private 17323 George Hathaway, RSF (Sutton-in-Ashfield) - wounded

16 Nov 1916 & 25 May 1917: Private 20871 George Hathaway, RSF (Leith) - wounded

So, no obvious Yorkshire connection.

Perhaps he was indeed Royal Scots but never served overseas with the regiment, so no MIC.

Stuart

maybe so, but I just don't know. My grandfather doesn't know either and George had no children so I think we are out of luck on finding a regimental number.

I am still waiting to here from a niece of my grandad whos father was close to George and hope she can help.

Rich