Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Samuel McMullan, 12665, 6th Inniskilling

Nelto

I'm trying to research my Great Great Uncle Sam McMullan. I've posted a request in the medal wants section as so far they have proved impossible to locate.

Here's what I've got so far:

Private Samuel McMullan, 12665, 6th Bt Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, kia 3rd October 1918, buried at Prospect Hill Cemetery, Gouy, Le Catelet, France.

I have a copy of his medal card from the National Archives - he was entitled to the Victory medal, the British War medal and the 15 Star. His first theatre is listed as (2B) Balkans, 11/07/15.

I have a copy of his details from the 1901 Census, when he was 9 years old, living at 42 Ballinahone More, Tobermore, Co. Londonderry.

I have visited his grave and intend to do so again next month.

I have requested an estimate from the National Archives for the Skins War Diary for 3rd Oct 1918. Registering and reading this forum prompted me to do this.

Is there anything else I can do? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for reading,

Jeff

SDGW

Born in Magherafelt, Co, Derry

Enlisted in Belfast

Also mentioned in Irelands Memorial Record of the Great War (same as above)

Grant

If any-one's still reading, I've another interesting snippet. :blink:

My Great Grandmother (Sam's sister) gave me a book, which is personal War Diary for the 6th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusliers. It was published in 1919 by the Impartial Reporter Newspaper, Enniskillen. It does not give any details of the author.

Sam McMullan is mentioned in the book - in a Section entitled "Two Splendid Comrades":

"It is invidious to single out any particular soldier for special mention, but this story of the part played by the 6th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusliers in the Great War would not be complete without a word of praise for Private Samuel McMullan, whose deeds in action on October 3, at Prospect Hill, will ever live so long as there remains alive one man who saw them, and whose grave is there now; and Private Willie Graham, whose example in action during the last three days of the war, and especially at Doullers, had more than anything else to do with the success of his company. To him, too, came a higher reward than any we could give, for he died of wounds on the battlefield two hours before the last shot of the war was fired, and is buried with many other splendid lads at Doullers."

My Great Gran was convinced that he had been Mentioned in Dispatches, but that may be because of the book. So that leads me to another question - Is it possible to research records for Mentioned in Dispatches?

post-76217-0-92958100-1311632103.jpg

Does any-one know if a War diary exists for the 6th Inniskilling on 3rd October 1918?

I requested a records check from the National Archives, but got the following response:

"Thank you for contacting the National Archives with your request for an estimate for the cost of copies of records. Our preliminary examination of your request shows that specific information within this document is not easily identifiable and will require research."

It will give me an excuse to call in the next time I'm in London, but I was wondering if there are any Inniskilling experts on here that might know more, or would I be wasting my time visiting the NA?

TIA,

Jeff

Also, has any-one seen the book that I've attached a pic of (above) before?

I could transcribe more of it if there's any interest. It covers the Battalion from it's formation, through Palestine, the Balkans and France.

I could transcribe more of it if there's any interest. It covers the Battalion from it's formation, through Palestine, the Balkans and France.

Jeff,

Why not stick it in "Unit historys", in the "Document Repositery" Section ?

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff,

Why not stick it in "Unit historys", in the "Document Repositery" Section ?

Grant

Grant,

I've done that now and I've also transcribed the chapter on Gallipoli.

The author was obviously a serving soldier and wrote the book as a witness to the events. It would be interesting to see if his records could eventually be researched. I've sent an email to the Impartial Reporter, Enniskillen asking if they have any records as to an author, etc.

LINK

Cheers,

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

6th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Omagh in August 1914 as part of K1 and attached to 31st Brigade in 10th (Irish) Division. Moved to Dublin and by early 1915 was at Kildare. Moved to England April 1915, going to Basingstoke.

Landed at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli, on 7 August 1915.

2 May 1918 : left the Division and moved to France.

7 June 1918 : transferred to 43rd Brigade in 14th (Light) Division.

18 June 1918 : transferred to 103rd Brigade in 34th Division.

29 June 1918 : transferred to Lines of Communication.

16 July 1918 : transferred to 151st Brigade in 50th (Northumbrian) Division.

I am from just outside Magherafelt and have speny many hours tracing the men from South Derry who died in Great War--BEST idea would be to contact "Skins" Musuem in Enniskillen IF they would have any other details.

Wesley Wright

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to research my Great Great Uncle Sam McMullan. I've posted a request in the medal wants section as so far they have proved impossible to locate.

Here's what I've got so far:

Private Samuel McMullan, 12665, 6th Bt Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, kia 3rd October 1918, buried at Prospect Hill Cemetery, Gouy, Le Catelet, France.

I have a copy of his medal card from the National Archives - he was entitled to the Victory medal, the British War medal and the 15 Star. His first theatre is listed as (2B) Balkans, 11/07/15.

I have a copy of his details from the 1901 Census, when he was 9 years old, living at 42 Ballinahone More, Tobermore, Co. Londonderry.

I have visited his grave and intend to do so again next month.

I have requested an estimate from the National Archives for the Skins War Diary for 3rd Oct 1918. Registering and reading this forum prompted me to do this.

Is there anything else I can do? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for reading,

Jeff

Jeff,

I read with great interest your post on Samuel McMullan. I have just returned to doing some family history. I have known for some time that my great great grandmother was Jane McMullan who married David McCracken in Desertmartin Parish Church in 1889. To cut a long story short I think this Jane McCracken (McMullan) is a sister of Samuel McMullan. If my suppostions are correct then I think photographs I obtained from an aunt are of Samuel McMullan's mother with his brother George and one of his brother Alex. I would be happy to share with you the little bit I know of the McMullan family history and vice versa. I am afraid I would be of no help on the military side as I am a complete novice. I joined this forum because I Goggled Samuel McMullan's name and saw your post.

Joe

Jeff,

I read with great interest your post on Samuel McMullan. I have just returned to doing some family history. I have known for some time that my great great grandmother was Jane McMullan who married David McCracken in Desertmartin Parish Church in 1889. To cut a long story short I think this Jane McCracken (McMullan) is a sister of Samuel McMullan. If my suppostions are correct then I think photographs I obtained from an aunt are of Samuel McMullan's mother with his brother George and one of his brother Alex. I would be happy to share with you the little bit I know of the McMullan family history and vice versa. I am afraid I would be of no help on the military side as I am a complete novice. I joined this forum because I Goggled Samuel McMullan's name and saw your post.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I tried to send you a message, but I think you need to have 5+ posts before you are allowed to send and rececive pm's. I'll have to figure out a way we can get in touch without leaving email addresses or phone numbers on the web.

But great news with regard to the family links and photos. I would be happy to share/pool any information. I have some records, ie. Birth Certificate, Convenant signature, 1901 & 1911 census details, photo of Sam and two of Bob, cemetery photos, etc.

I got the photos of Sam and Bob from Bob's daughter in July.

I wasn't aware of Jane as she doesn't appear on the census, due to marriage of course. There's a chance my mother may know more, she's usually a mine of information. Her father was Nancy McMullan's son. I have a couple of photos of Nancy as well.

Cheers,

Jeff

PS: Joe, click on your profile and comments, email address for me: nelto2000@yahoo.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Joe,

So delighted to read your notes on the McCracken and McMullan family. I have been researching for a while and willing to pass on information and to hear what you have.

My Mum (age 90 in January), her grandparents were David McCracken and Jane McMullan. I have photos of Alex McMullan, George and Jane. Also photos of the family of David and Janes sons who fought in First World War and have service records of them. One son Samuel McCracken was awarded the D.S.M.

I can give you a more detailed information on the family but as I am new to this site and had difficulty knowing how to reply, I will wait and see if you get this and await hearing from you.

Eileen.

• 6 months later...

Jeff

I am researching a book on the Desertmartin War Dead. I have come across Samuel's name on the memorial in the Church (misspelt as McMullen.

Can I have your permission to use the photo and do you have any other information.

Sam Hudson

• 3 weeks later...

Sam,

Sorry, just came across your post. With regards to photo, absolutely no problem, please use it.

If you want to leave an email address on here or your in profile, or contact the one on mine, I'll send you a full/better copy.

Most of the information I have on Sam is contained in the above posts, but if there is anything more specifc you need I'll try to remember or find it out.

Jeff

Jeff

I have skimmed through this thread. I have a photo of this man from the Belfast Evening Telegraph (it is a cropped version of the picture you have posted) which records his address as 54 Imperial Street in Belfast.

Nigel

Nigel,

That's very interesting. The McMullan family had a shop in Imperial Street for years after the war. Do you have a date for your Telegraph photo? I feel a trip to the Linenhall Library coming on!

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff

Sorry, I do not have a date for the BET edition ... I was trawling through the BET to photograph as many servicemen photographs as possible and I did not record the editions date. However, as you know the Date of Death you could search for a few weeks after the date. Alternatively, if you PM your email address to me, I will send you the clipping (there is not that much on it. Also, if you are on Ancestry, the Belfast News-Letter is now online ... if you are not on Ancestry, I am downloading the pages with the "Ulster in the War" column and I could check if there is an entry for your man.

Let me know if you want me to check BNL on Ancestry.

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...