Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert after hours

stephenh

I have finally booked a few nights in Albert and was wondering if anybody could recommend any pubs, restaurants in the town which I could frequent after some battlefied touring.

Stephen

The Royal Picardie on the outskirts has a real good restaurant. The one across from the cathedral, name escapes me is quite good. If you have a car go to Peronne, Ramparts Hotel Restaurant is brilliant.

Albert aint much pub town but some have mentioned place named 3 pigeons i think.

The restaurant at the de la Paix hotel in Bapaume is superb, and is open for non-residents as well (the crayfish and fennel kebabs were quite truly magnificent, foie gras du maison which was sublime, pan fried rabbit with mustard and chablis sauce, home made sorbet de cassis, fromage superieur du marche, strawberries with a jus of pernod and champagne, and petits fours par excellence).

Having spent a night out in Bapaume (some achievement, as there really is b****r all to do there), all the French chaps and chapettes we spoke to, said the place to go out for bars etc is Cambrai.

There are quite a few bars around the Basilica, but I have no idea what they are like in the evening.

When I was there about 3 years ago, there was a cracking North African restaurant. It was on the left as you come towards the edge of town going towards Bapaume (opposite a supermarket). Hope it's still there.

John

Albert is a pretty quiet place. As Matt says, most of the action - such as it is - is around the Basilica square. My recommendation - drive to Arras.

GOOD LUCK! Stephen O'Shea put it best when he said Albert was proof that it possible to eat poorly in France. I found it a great place to hang out at the internet cafe and catch on emails. By the way the cafe was nice and the staff helpful. Andy

Stephen

You could do a lot worse than arrange with

Domanic and Melanie at "Le Tommy" in Pozieres

for a good feed and great beer, but that is only

the view of an uncouth Colonial Aussie.

Bluedog

Le Tommy is good but when I was there about three weeks ago, the coffee was truly dreadful.......luke warm, weak and tasted like it had been made in about 1916.

Hi,

Le Poppy for food.

the Highlander (on side street opposite the bascilica) for a drink (if you wish to go with the locals. you can even have a game of darts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mandy

Matt

I didnt mention coffee. if you want good coffee, then you

go to the Internet Cafe in Albert

Bluedog

I thought this had closed.

Perhaps it is a new one.

The Internet Cafe closed over a year ago; I hadn't seen a new one.

The Relais Fleuri Hotel on the main Albert-Bapaume road in Albert has a very good restaurant; fish in particular always seems good here. It's open to non-residents of the hotel, but you are advised to book.

Details:

54-56 avenue du Général Faidherbe

80300 Albert

Telephone : 03 22 75 08 11 Fax : 03 22 74 02 75

I am back on the Somme next month, 20-29 August, staying at Longueval and I was just wondering if there are any mountain bike hire places in that area or in Albert as me & Jayne would like to tour round on bikes for a few days?

Thanks to everyone for their informative views and ideas, certainly gives me something to choose when I go on my solo trip.

Stephen

The Highlander is perhaps not the best place to go.

Try the bar on the station side of the square- I can't recall it's name but it changed it's front window recently!

All in all a night in Albert is surely best remembered as a night to be forgotten!

What about the Pizzeria near to the station, that was okay for food, good atmosphere when we went in last year.

It's Closed................which is hardly a surprise, whenever I had been in there it was empty!!!!!

I was in the same boat last October... Albert is not exactly the IT place for night life ...

Try the 3 Pigeons next to the Basilica in the main square, the landlord is a friendly chap and speaks English....

Matt,

Nice word you have coined there : chapettes!

I woulkd agree with you on the De La Paix Restaurant in Bapaume. Otherwise avoid Bapaume like the plague: it is the Siberia of France. nothing doing at night!

All life seems extinct.

The Grand Hotel de la Paix in Albert is quite good and there are always some Great War books and maps on sale. It is opposite the memorials.

Cheers!

Fred

Guest AmericanDoughboy

I recently travelled to the Somme and quite humorously I saw the menu for a very fancy restaurant. It wasn't funny that I saw the sign but it was the English translation of the foods featured. Grillid Beaf and Coconut Crustard. As well as the Fish and Ships. However, despite these humorous presentation of a restaurant, it was a superb feast. I hope to eat at such a place very soon.

-Doughboy

P.S. At least it wasn't half as bad as my terrible French

Hello,

I know Albert a little. Just to mention and joke :

- there is a MacDonald!!!

- a bowling

- a big disco / club for chapettes...

;-)

Personnaly, I always went out to Amiens, not so far from Albert.

Nicolas

I think you are all being unfair to Bapaume! :rolleyes:

It does have some good places to eat: the De la Paix hotel has a good, very French restaurant. There is also a superb Pizza/Italian restaurant, the Stromboli, which is on the the Bapaume-Peronne road. It is always packed, and a reservation is necessary most nights.

The chip wagons in the main square are also much better than the ones in Albert!

:D

I would totally agree with Paul .The Italian in Bapaume is a great night out, they have made me and my friends/family very welcome there and the food was really great.

For an interesting experience try The Poppy! We always go there and although food is not fantastic there is a good atmosphere and it is very cheap. This is in La Boisselle.

tony

Cynthia and I found that Italian in Bapaume one night. It was the only establishment of any kind open at 8.30 pm or so ! We did not make an evening of it by a visit to any of the chip vans ! (Must say , I love the chip vans , especially in Belgium. Beautiful fries and mayo - you can feel the heart attack coming on.)

I must confess that I find the almost totally deserted nature of French villages at any time rather disconcerting. Like something out of a John Wyndham novel. What are they all doing and where ?

THE DELIGHTS OF BAPAUME

I beg to disagree, Paul, 'Le Stromboli' in Bapaume, gave us the toughest entrecôte ever and the second time added so much pepper to my pepperless meal that I thought I was on fire.

In fact after we had gone there for the SECOND time, I was reminded of what Dr Johnson, of Dictionary fame, said of SECOND maariages: "the triumph of hope over experience".

I agree with you, Ianw, that one wonders what the French do at night.

All the best, Fred