Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Pierre

Sgt Reginald Stevenson Dodds

Pierre

Hello All,

Does anybody has information about Sjt Reginald Stevenson Dodds, Serjeant (Obs.) Royal Air Force 20th Sqdn. Age: 19 Date of Death: 10/11/1918 Service No: 99859

He is buried in Vogenee Communal Cemetery

He was Son of W. H and Bertha E. Dodds, of 52, Machorn Bank, Nether Edge, Sheffield.

Is it possible to know what was his plane and circumstance of his death, please.

Many thanks by advance.

Pierre

KevinBattle

Bonjour, Pierre

I know a lot of Pals here appreciate how much work you have put in to your "In Memories" website, so I'm sure they will give you as much information as possible

Merci beaucoup for your site, it's a wonderful tribute.

Amtiesi, K

Testerchild2

Pierre,

DODDS Reginald Stevenson 99859; former clerk of 833 Abbeydale Road, S. Sheffield. DOB 21.07.1899, son of William Harvey & Bertha E Dodds

CWGC gives parents as from 52 Machorn bank, Nether edge, Sheffield.

Five Foot Eight, Dark brown hair.

Enlisted RFC 02.10.1917

A/Sergeant 08.01.1918

Reverted 2/AM 05.04.1918

Eastchurch 14-27 July 1918

Reinstated Sgt Mechanic 16.08.1918 (Observer)

20 Squadron 24.08.1918

MIA 10.11.1918

DOW 22.11.1918

Sgt Dodds was flying in Bristol Fighter ‘F2241’ as observor to Lt. E. A. C. Britton when their formation of 8 Bristols engaged a large force of Fokker DVIIs attacking a formation of D.H.9s near Charleroi. By the end of the fight the British pilots claimed a total of 4 Fokkers shot down but lost ‘F6195’, flown by Canadians 2/Lt. A. W. McHardy and W. A. Rodger and ‘F2241’ flown by Britton and Dodds. Only Britton survived. He was a very short man and although he was captured locals passed him some women's clothes and he managed to escape back to British lines.

Alexander McHardy was the 20 year old son of Alexander C. and Isabel McHardy of MacLennan's Mountain, Picton Co. Nova Scotia.

William Alexander Rodger was Aged 25 when he died, and was the son of William & Helen Rodger of 17 Peach Street, Edinburgh. However, he had apparently gone to live in Canada before the war as he originally enlisted in the 18th (Manitoba Regiment) Canadian infantry. He and McHardy are buried at Tournai Communal Cemetery Allied Extension.

I believe these three young men were the RAF's last combat fatalities of the Great War.

Is there any local archive might tell us who the 'locals' were that helped Britton escape?

Bob

Pierre

Hello kevin,

Many thanks for your opinion, it reinforce me to the necessity of the site.

Hello Bob,

Many thanks, I didn't expect so much, it is for a local people who would like to honour Reginald Dodds in a near future.

Cheers.

Pierre

Testerchild2

"it is for a local people who would like to honour Reginald Dodds in a near future."

Pierre,

Glad to help. Are you saying there will be some kind of ceremony for Sgt Dodds? If there is, please keep us updated.

I also have to echo Kevin's thoughts on your website where he said: "it's a wonderful tribute".

Best wishes

Bob

Pierre

Bob,

Yes, it is previous for 11.11 this or next year.

I have sent your information to my correspondent, but have no news for the moment.

He maybe is on holidays.

I'll be back to you when I'll have some.

Cheers.

Pierre

Testerchild2

Pierre,

I look forward to hearing. I'm always interested in anything concerning 20 Squadron.

Cheers

Bob

J. Mackenzie

Hello, I'm new here ! I am very interested in Sergeant Reginald Dodds as I live near to the village of Vogenee where his grave is. Being British, I was told about his grave quite soon after my arrival in Belgium .The wooden propellor used to hang on the wall behind his grave....the condition of it was deteriorating then it disappeared...I later heard that someone had "taken" it.......:-(

I always visit this grave on 11th November and deposit a poppy.

This grave has never been tended to which I find deplorable ! So, this year, I took it upon myself to clean / tidy it up a bit ! So, 2 visits to clean the headstone and lay down some white gravel.....plus a visit on 11/11 with floral tributes. A Belgian lady also visited with floral tributes.

I shall continue to take care of Sgt. Dodds' grave......

I can add photos if wished.

Testerchild2

Hi Mr Mackenzie,

Only just saw your post: I'd love to see a photo of his grave.

Bob

J. Mackenzie

Bob,

Yes, it is previous for 11.11 this or next year.

I have sent your information to my correspondent, but have no news for the moment.

He maybe is on holidays.

I'll be back to you when I'll have some.

Cheers.

Pierre

Hello ! There has NEVER been anything done for Reginald Dodds ! The Local Authorities have done nothing to tend to his grave ! (Even with a plaque "Commonwealth Graves" at the entrance to this cemetary ! ). The wooden propellor which used to be on the wall behind his grave fell into "disrepair"...then was "taken" by one or more people ! I always visited his grave on 11/11...but, over the past few years have taken it upon myself...to tend his grave ! I cleaned it up and do so now twice a year ! I also bought a bag of white gravel to put on it.....so, a bit better now ! ;-)

J. Mackenzie

Hello again.. ..havn't logged on for a while ! 

I've been tending Sgt. Dodd's grave for quite a few years now... ..nobody else did ! 

Through Facebook pages, local people have heard about my devotion. ..and. ..for the first time ! !....he SHALL be rememembered on the 10th November 2018. .for the Centenary of his death !    ( local group dedicated to this kind of thing. ..but I think that Dodds shall be the first British included. ..!).I shall apparently be contacted at a later date. ..

20171111_114913.jpg

Testerchild2

Hi J. Mackenzie

I've been absent for a while and just saw your post.  It is good that you keep his memory alive, and the flowers are beautiful.

Bob

J. Mackenzie

A commemoration for the centenary of Sgt. Dodds' death will definately be taking place in November ..I shall keep you informed ! 

J. Mackenzie

At last ! .Ceremony this Sunday 4th November !...it was a long time coming !

British presence with wreath being laid ..

However ! After SO many years of MYSELF taking care of/cleaning...when I went recently....Well,it had been cleanded way too much..and the wee hedge around....gone ! Sad but true !..Local Idiots thinking that....

Trying to add photos..but having difficulty 

J. Mackenzie

As it is now after my visit cleaning etc....was sas that the "hedge" around had gone....

20181014_123929.jpg

Invitation !

Screenshot_20181102-165432_Messenger.jpg

J. Mackenzie

Sergeant Dodds' Parents sent à gift to say thankyou To the people who tried To save him...however, I have just recently heard from the lady who has this "gift"...that the first to help him...were..German !!

Screenshot_20181102-165414_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20181102-165414_Messenger.jpg.89b545bee4e2b804b41044ef5113e4ff.jpg

Testerchild2

J. Mackenzie,

So very glad he has been rembered this way.  Well done. The grave looks lovely now, and the commemoration notice too. His parents' gift was a splendid gesture, and the long gone nameless Germans, who also tried to save him,  should be remembered if only to remind us that compassion and chivalry can be found in every nation, among friends and enemies, yesteryear and today.

Very best wishes,

Bob

J. Mackenzie

Ft.Officer Sudeep Ale who drove all the way from The Hague...then back ! ( over 3hrs 30 min drive each way !) to be with us to remember Sergeant Reginald Dodds.

20181104_162107.jpg