Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge what to see what to do?

egbert

I will be in Zeebrugge 5 Sep 12 all day long. Would anybody please give me hints what to see WW1 related? The famous pier still there?

at zeebrugge the church yard,the pier and the memorial at zeebrugge bad were still there 3 weeks ago, blankenberge civilian cem, is wurth a visite, ww1 and ww1 graves, the belgian plot is special, and then raversijde is wurth a viste

kind regards

sabine

at zeebrugge the church yard,the pier and the memorial at zeebrugge bad were still there 3 weeks ago, blankenberge civilian cem, is wurth a visite, ww1 and ww1 graves, the belgian plot is special, and then raversijde is wurth a viste

kind regards

sabine

Thanks Sabine. Is the pier within the harbor boundaries and accessible or fenced off?

Also please be aware that I arrive by ship and will leave the same day by ship, so I have no car just my poor feet available to explore

Hi Egbert,

the end part of the pier is fenced of

regards,

Eddy

well, I did it with the bike from the church to the memorial and from the memorial to blankenberge 30 minutes in total, but you can take the tram,but I never arrived by boat to visite zeebrugge(only when I came back from scotland) from the harbour in blankenberge tot the civilian cem it was 5 minutes cycling.I suggest to go to the church first,take the tram to the pier or if you like a walk,but then best to use the tram to go to blankenberge,I'll have a good look to give you a map where the civilian cem is .

sabine

Hi egbert,

See the thread link below - it was started after I'd been there with time to spare earlier in May

but on my list for next time. LINK

Terry

Egbert,

next to the new sluices between Heist and Zeebrugge there is a platform for tourists/visitors thate enables You to take good pics of the mole end

If You want to visit Raversijde I am afraid You will loose too much time. It is already one hour tram to get there

Eddy

Thanks guys so far , I take all poi recommendation serious. I have attached a ge snippet if anyone dares to mark down the places i should go to. also i am interested in WWII stuff like gun batteries if there are some in the vicinity. as i said everything by foot or with tram . i will arrive on a ship in the morning and will leave with the ship at 17:00hrs.

Sorry I can not attach the file because of the website crash/malfunction. It just does not let me do it as there is no such button anymore.

You might like to get in touch with the:

West Vlaamse Gidsenkring

Tele: 003250346545

mail: info@gidsenkringbrugge.com

They are an excellent group of guides based in Brugges, They speak English and are very knowledgeable. There may be a website now.

Apart from the area of where the raid took place, there is a Russian Whisky class submarine in the harbour, and a lot of other stuff. The guides know it all.

http://www.blankenberge-online.be/plan/stadsplan.html

this is a link where you can see the stedelijke begraafplaats( civilian cem) in blankenberge

I can not get a map in the tread at the moment.

kind regards

sabine

• 2 weeks later...

Egbert,

Just let me know when you're coming and you will have private guide if you want to... <_<

Cheers,

Johan