Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Samuel Francis Shepherd

nigatt

Dear Forum Pals

Samuel Francis Shepherd was a Pte in the Leicesters. His MIC shows two Regt Nos 4008 and 201010. I can't seem to find any records on Ancestry? He was born in 1888.

His MIC shows he was awarded the pip, squeak and wilfred. On the photocopy of the MIC I have his entry to theatre of war is partly obscured. But is 20. ?.1915. I see the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th leicesters went to war on 29 July 1915 which seems to count Sam Shepherd out. Could he have been a replacement for 1st or 2nd battalion????

The entry date is 20/8/1915.

John

His regimental number tells you that he's a TF man, so would be 4th battalion. Possibly 5th, but probably 4th. Check dates of entry for each battalion.

The 6 digit service number was part of the TF renumbering block allocated to the 4th Bn (1/4th, 2/4th and 3/4th Bns) the 2/4th didn't arrive in France until February 1917 and the 3/4th supplied drafts to the 1/4th and 2/4th which leaves him as being a replacement to the 1/4th.

Jon

ps the date of entry reads 20th August 1915

Good Morning Nigel,

Samuel would have been a 1/4th man.

4021/201016 enlisted in Leicester on the 13th March 1915 and also set foot in France on the 20th August.

I've got the battalion diary, so if you need any dates of interest please shout.

Regards. Llew.

Hi Llew

Thanks for the info you have recently sent, cheers mate.