Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australia to help fund WWI museum expansion

Mark Foxe

Heard this on the radio in Oz today, plus it's now in the press.

Australia will help fund a World War I museum in Belgium that houses artefacts from a battlefield where more than 11,000 diggers died.

Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 in Zonnebeke is being expanded to recognise the nations that took part in the critical eight-week battle.

The Australian Army suffered about 38,000 casualties including 11,00 killed in action or died of wounds.

"To this day, that period remains Australia's most costly experience of war," Veterans Affairs Minister Warren Snowdon said at Passchendaele.

The government will provide the museum with $270,000 in funding.

It would help honour the service of more than 290,000 Australians who served on the Western Front and the 46,000 who died, Mr Snowdon said.

The expanded museum will form part of the Australian Remembrance Trail which is being established by the Australia in conjunction with French and Belgian communities.

The trail will link sites of the most significant Australian battles of the war including Ypres and Zonnebeke in Belgium, and Fromelles, Bullecourt, Pozieres, Mont St Quentin, Le Hamel and Villers-Bretonneux in France

Quite right Chris!

However, isn't it interesting that we are suffering so many cuts and they can still find a few quid? Did our gov contribute to the Thiepval centre?

Chris

Also being renovated is Jean Letaille's museum at Bullecourt with a not-insignificant level of Australian Govt funding. Here's a few pics of its status as of last week courtesy of Yves Fohlen.

post-53536-0-57689700-1311179098.jpg

post-53536-0-25624400-1311179099.jpg

post-53536-0-96720200-1311179176.jpg

Great photos of the start of work at Jean's museum, Leigh. Jean took great pride in showing me the draft plans when I last visited him back in August 09. When I next visit the museum I am sure it will exceed all expectations. What a great legacy.

Mark