Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Giessen POW Camp WW1

Numanoid817

Great pictures! I have the book Gießen im Krieg (see my post 19) which has some interesting photos of POWs in it. I'm not sure I can scan and post here since the book is only a few years old. I think I would be infringing copyright. The book is well worth a read if you can understand German.

Thanks for sharing yours.

Best Wishes

Keith

My great cousin Rifleman Jack Sadler 16 Service Btn. The Rifle Brigade died as a prisoner of war at Giessen Camp and is buried at the CWGC cemetery at Niederzwheren. But his real name was Reinstadtler, changed due to the anti german sentiment during WW1. The family, which had come to Britain from Germany 70 years earlier, originated in Dorlar in the Lahn Valley just a few miles from Giessen. Undoubtedly there were direct relatives still there in WW1 - the sheer futility of that conflict could not be better illustrated.

Trav,

To the best of my knowledge they were, however I am still checking all the pictures to see. The individual this collection came from was in Courtrai hospital while recovering from his wounds, with a short period at Limburg. The rest of the war was at Giessen.

Andy

On 10/12/2018 at 11:35, stiletto_33853 said:

DSC06748 copy.jpg

Thanks for the reply - I can't speak for them all, but this one appears here https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/PostCards/de

as "Meschede, Westphalia, Germany. The prisoner-of-war camp (ICRC, Germany, n°48)". My interest lies in the fact my Grandfather was also at Limburg before being moved on to Orb as one of those who 'failed to recruit' to Casement's Irish Brigade. It may be worth looking through some of the postcards on the above site to check. HTH :)

Edited by Trav
clarity

• 4 months later...
On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:20, Trav said:

Just stumbled across this thread after discovering a relative of mine was a POW at Giessen from March 1918 onwards.  

Were any conclusions reached about the above image?  I took a quick glance and can't easily reconcile it with the postcard of Giessen shown earlier in the thread.

ICRC clearly state it's 'Camp de Meschede'. The postcard on their site is a slightly different crop of the one posted above. HTH

This is another view https://scholarworks.wmich.edu/wwi_pow_camps/480/ and lines up quite well with the google earth shot of Meschede, in fact one of the streets leading off that 'hub' is named Lagerstrasse. So I think it's definite.

Annotation 2019-04-30 232714.jpg

Edited by Trav
More detail...

35 minutes ago, Trav said:

ICRC clearly state it's 'Camp de Meschede'. The postcard on their site is a slightly different crop of the one posted above. HTH

This is another view https://scholarworks.wmich.edu/wwi_pow_camps/480/ and lines up quite well with the google earth shot of Meschede, in fact one of the streets leading off that 'hub' is named Lagerstrasse. So I think it's definite.

Annotation 2019-04-30 232714.jpg

Many thanks, Trav. I figured it wasn't Giessen but I appreciate the confirmation.

Kind regards,

Mark

• 1 year later...

Only just saw these pictures of Geissen. Superb stuff. Thanks for posting

• 1 year later...

My grandfather was a POW there from May 1915 until early 1919.  Some pictures and maps I managed to get and put together.

Camp Location Map and Overlay on Goggle Earth_Page_1.jpg

Camp Location Map and Overlay on Goggle Earth_Page_2.jpg

Camp Location Map and Overlay on Goggle Earth_Page_3.jpg

Camp Location Map and Overlay on Goggle Earth_Page_4.jpg

My grandfather was a POW at Giessen.

I read recently that the Germans had a camp for incomong refugees in Gieseen.  I wondered if it was on the site of the POW camp, but was unable to ascertain whether this was the case.

• 1 year later...

Some postcards from Limburg, Meschede and Giessen from Christopher Flynn Connaught Ranger 9859. He was there with his brother Patrick Flynn 6833.

The Flynns were 8 brothers from Ballina. Seven were soldiers in WW1 and all returned home.

anthony

Chris Giessen rear.jpeg

Chris Giessen.jpeg

Chris Limburg photo front.jpeg

Chris Limburg photo rear.jpeg

Giessen camp Irish altar Chris Flynn.jpeg

Giessen irish altar rear 4 Chris Flynn.jpeg