Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Orford Barracks John Conley

janwest

Hi new to this site and may not have posted in the correct place my first attempt just dissappeared,

I am trying to find more details of John Conley (born cir 1871) miliarty career, hoping this will help me link him to his parents. I have found a numer of possible links etc but nothing I am confidwnt with being the correct person. The facts I have are as follows

John Conley states on the 2 definate censes I have found (1901 1911) that he was born in Liverpool.

He married Annie Barnett in 1900 his fathers name James who was a butcher.

John was a soldier in the South Lancs Regiment, based in Warrington

1901 census soldier South Lancs Regiment

1901 daughters bc soldier 40th Battl South Lancs Regiment

1903 ditto

1904 sergeant based at Orford Barracks Warrington

1905 sergeant 40th batt South Lancs Regiment

1911 Warctman Soap Manufactors

1915 CQMS 10th South Lancs 12587

1918 died and was buried in War graves part of Warrington Cemetary- remebered with honour QCE195

Qrt Master Serg South Wales borders an army pensioner.

Commonwealth War Graves record

59 CONLEY, JOHN, J Regimental Quartermaster Serjeant 46950 South Wales borderers 15/10/1918 Unknown Q. CE. 195.

I hope someone can advise how I can track John back, I have a possible ref in the 1891 census in London bit not sure

thanks Janet

There are papers for 15143 John Conley, South Lancs who joined November 1914. He claimed to be 19.

He was the son of John and Annie Conley, of 10, Wilkinson? St, Warrington.

He made it to L/Cpl for the second time in May 1916, before being discharged Kings Regs Par 392 (vi) (lying about his age).

Could this be his son?

There are papers for 15143 John Conley, South Lancs who joined November 1914. He claimed to be 19.

He was the son of John and Annie Conley, of 10, Wilkinson? St, Warrington.

He made it to L/Cpl for the second time in May 1916, before being discharged Kings Regs Par 392 (vi) (lying about his age).

Could this be his son?

Hi

Thanks for the response, Yes that's his son, he later rejoined when he was old enough, only wish we could find more out about his father!

regards Jan

Is the pre-war service information from his papers on Findmypast?

Hello again

their are a number of John Conley's but nothing to clearly say it is our man!!!! I think he may even be of Irish extraction but has on the documetation we have always put Liverpool as this place os birth, and again there are a couple of possibilities on the census. What I had hoped for was matching up one of this army serial numbers up. There is no record on Ancestry for either service or pension. I suspect he was a pensioner before the 1914 war.

thanks for your help. anything else you can think of would be appreciated

regards Janet