Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21 March 1918

Hedley Malloch

Remembering all those who died 85 years ago today on the opening day of the Michael Offensive. And remembering, too, two who lived: Ernst Jünger and the nameless British soldier whose life he spared at Bullecourt.

And the members of "The Suicide Club" who remained in their positions providing covering fire to the infantry's retreat until the ammo ran out, or their luck...

Many awards were gained (I hate saying 'won') that day by the MGC - quite a few not on the recommendation of the MGC chain of command, but of the infantry COs they were supporting. See Lyn Macdonald's "To the Last Man" for examples.

And, tomorrow, remember Harry Columbine of 9 Sqn MGC (Cavalry)

"On 22 March 1918 at Hervilly Wood, France, Private Columbine took over command of a gun and kept firing it from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in an isolated position with no wire in front. During this time wave after wave of the enemy failed to get up to him, but at last with the help of a low-flying aircraft the enemy managed to gain a strong foothold in the trench. As the position was now untenable, Private Columbine told the two remaining men to get away, and although he was being bombed on either side, he kept his gun firing, inflicting losses, until he was killed by a bomb which blew up him and his gun."

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Here's to the men of the 'Young Buffs', the 9th Bn East Surrey Regiment and their stand at St Quentin. Remembered today at the Regimental church in Kingston-upon-Thames.

Ian

:rolleyes:

The whole 9th Scottish Division especially the South African's whose great stand on the 24th may have done more to save the UK 5th Army than most people realize. Well at least that's my opinion.

We will remember them.

Jon

I was driving through Bullecourt and some of the 21st March '18 sites on my way to Ypres this morning; there was a heavy mist and some fog on the Somme today - typical of the weather on most parts of the front 85 years ago...

21 March 1918 - Private William Swain (my great uncle 'Fat'), 2nd Bedfordshire Regt. Killed in Action near to Holnon, France. Buried at Chappel Military Cemetery, Holnon. Commemorated in the 1914-1918 website's 'Heroes' Section.