Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

27th battery rfa

vicessex

My grandfather served with 27th Battery,32 Brigade,RFA, as 33004 Gunner Morris C. Pigott. According to his MIC he landed in France on 23 August 1914, which I believe was the date that all three batteries of 32 Brigade disembarked there. He was discharged, as a Lance Bombadier, on 15 May 1916, presumably on medical grounds as he received a Silver War Badge. Before the war he owned a small business in Sheffield, so the fact that he was with a regular army unit at such an early stage of hostilities has made me curious to find out exactly when he enlisted. I read that member Dick Flory has a booklet giving details of 27th Battery personnel, so perhaps he would be able to tell me my grandfather's enlistment date and the medical reasons for discharge. Any help he could provide would be much appreciated.

He is listed in 27th Battery, R.F.A, 1914-1919 as 33004 Acting Bmbr. T. Pigott. He is also shown as being a member of the battery when it went to France and Flanders on 23 August 1914 and as being hospitalized on 28 May 1915. Regards, Dick Flory

My thanks to Dick Flory for his quick reply to my query about my grandfather 33004 Morris Pigott of 27th Battery RFA, particularly the date of his hospitalisation.

I would suggest that his service number might suggest he had originally enlisted in early 1904, probably on a 3 year fulltime + 9 year reservist enlistment, and so was a reservist in 1914 - and hence also a small business-owner. A significant part of his Brigade would have been reservists and special reservists mobilised at the start of August 1914.

Checking some service numbers 33004 would have been issued in November 1903 in fact - that being the most likely number sequence for him to have been part of. A 33003 enlisted 20/11/1903. There are other possibilities. As I see Morris Carlyle Pigott was born in 1885 and hence about 18, that would seem to be likely.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks Battiscombe for your interesting suggestion that 33004 Gunner M.C.Pigott could have been a reservist who originally enlisted in 1904. This was quite possible, as there is a period in his life from 1901 to 1908 which I cannot account for, so three years regular service from 1904 would fit in quite neatly. He married in 1908 and there is a family story that his wife was not amused when she discovered in 1914 that he had previously volunteered for some sort of military service. His being a reservist would certainly tie in with this story.

g3

For your interest at mobilisation,4 Aug 1914,the Brigade were at Woolwich,and gained strength as reservists and appointees arrived. The unit moved off to Harrow on achieving complement and on 22 August entrained for Southampton,where they boarded THESPIS for Boulogne,arrived there 23rd,and entrained for BOHAIN on 24th. Unit first in action on the 25th at BRIASTRE.

Sotonmate

• 2 weeks later...

Sotonmate, your information abou 27th Battery's movements in the early weeks of the war was most interesting. I didn't know the unit was first in action at Briastre on 25 Auigust, but I had read it was at Le Cateau shortly afterwards, where 2 out of 6 guns were lost, and where the unit commander Major H.E.Vallentin won the DSO.

Gabriel 3

• 2 months later...

74918 Driver J H Colborn is listed as being with the battery when it went to France in August 1914. He is listed as being sent to hospital on 12 March 1918. Dick Flory

• 3 years later...

please use the links for information regarding 32 brigade and 27th battery

http://www.42regt.com/1900_to_1939.html

http://www.42regt.com/batterys/27bty_main_text.html

I am presently working on adding the War Diary written by Major Vallentin. I will post here when I have included some of the diary

• 3 years later...

Adrian:  I have replied to your PM.