Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Rhodesian Corps of Irregulars"

shaunhullis

Winchester College's records show that on August 24th 1916 an old boy of the school, Arthur Parry HARDY (DoB September 20th 1877) died "during training", having joined the "Rhodesian Corps of Irregulars". He is not commemorated by the CWGC as far as I can tell, and I would like to get this corrected and his name added to Winchester College's own war memorial. But to do so I will need more evidence. One internet source does suggest that he died at "Matoppos, Southern Rhodesia". Can anyone help?

Shaun

Shaun

Arthur does not appear to have a military grave or a Medal Index Card, and he is not listed as a British South Africa Police casualty.

Perhaps he was a member of the Southern Rhodesia military Reserve when he died.

I suggest that you try and locate a grave for him in a civilian cemetery in Zimbabwe, and see if there are any clues on the headstone.

Harry

Shaun

The Rhodesian Corps of Irregulars is a new one on me. Indeed the only Rhodesian 'Corps' of Great War vintage I know of is the Southern Rhodesia Motor Transport Corps! Not much help there. If it wasn't for Hardy's date of death being 1916 I would have suggested this was a unit from the native rebellions of the 1890s. Good luck with your search.

james w

Thank you all; I thought that it was a long shot, and if Bushfighter doesn't know then I'm probably on to a loser! I'll let you know if I find anything.

Shaun

• 1 month later...

The Matopos hills are outside Bulawayo. Cecil Rhodes is buried there and there is the Shangani memorial, erected to commemorate a number of soldiers killed by the natives,

Nigel