Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recommendations?

Matt Dixon

Can anyone recommend a book that deals with the start of the war cavalry engagements?

I am specifically interested, having watched a Timewatch documentary about technological advances during WW1, which focussed greatly on the 4th Dragoons and the 9th Lancers.

My great Uncle (see gallery) served in the 9th Lancers, and I would love to find out more about their actions and involvement in the opening months of the war.

Thanks

Guest woodyudet

Marquis of Anglesey's "History of the British Cavalry" is probably the best place to start with any cavalry reading

Does that cover just the Great War though?

There was a lot of fighting at Zantvoorde area in 1914...

Matt,

There is a book by Home called "A Cavalryman's Diary", but as our copy is not where I thought it was I cannot give you full details just now.

Also, try Emden, Richard van (ed.) TICKLED TO DEATH TO GO. Memoirs of a Cavalryman Spellmount 1996:

Here is a blurb:

Benjamin Clouting was just 16 years old when he embarked with the BEF in August 1914. The youngest man in the 4th Dragoon Guards, he took part in the BEF's celebrated first action at Casteau on August 22nd, and, two days later, had his horse shot from under him during the famous cavalry charge of the 4th Dragoon Guards and the 9th Lancers at Audregnies. Ben served on the Western Front during every major engagement of the war except Loos, was wounded twice, and in 1919 went with the Army of Occupation to Cologne. The son of a stable groom, Ben was brought up in the beautiful Sussex countryside near Lewes and from his earliest years was, as he often said himself, "crazy to be a soldier". He worked briefly as a stable boy before joining up in 1913; his training was barely completed when war broke out. The Regiment, knowing Ben to be under age, tried to stop him embarking for France, but he flatly refused to be left behind. During the next four years, he served under officers immortalized in Great War history, including Major Tom Bridges, Captain Hornby, and Lieutenant-Colonel Adrian Carton de Wiart VC. "Tickled To Death To Go" is a detailed account of a trooper's life at the front, vividly recalling, for example, the privations suffered during the retreat from Mons, and later, the desperate fighting to hold back the German onslaught at 2nd Ypres. But his is more than just a memoir about trench warfare. Ben's lively sense of humour and healthy disrespect for petty restrictions make this an entertaining as well as a moving story of life at the front. This enthralling account of one trooper's memories gives a new and invaluable perspective on life during the First World War. The remarkable story of Trooper Benjamin Clouting, 8292, C Squadron, 4th Dragoon Guards, is told in his own words and illustrated by a unique collection of photographs, published here for the first time, and maps.

Kate,

That sounds brilliant! Van Emden was the presenter of the documentary and mentionned Clouting...now to see if I can find a copy!

Many thanks

Does that cover just the Great War though?

Volume 7 (The Curragh Incident and the Western Front, 1914) is the one you want, though at around 35 quid and with only 5 pages in the whole book that contain a reference to the 9th Lancers, you may not. It is a good overview of the cavalry in 1914 but light on specifics for many of the units.

Robert

On a similar theme. Any ideas on books describing the early war participation of the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers)?

Thanks,

Matthew

• 1 month later...

The " Desert Column' by Ian Iddriss is the diary of a Troopper in the Light Horse in WW1 is a good read

spider