Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Dogflud

11153 Private Daniel Carty, West Riding Regiment

Dogflud

Private Carty was discharged from the Army on 12th March 1918, his records stating the following:

"Discharged. His being no longer physically fit for war service. Para 392 (XVI) K.Rs. Syphillis. Aggravated by service during the present war."

His headstone in Harehills Cemetery, Leeds states that he "Died of sickness contracted on the Western Front during the Great War"

IMG_0123.jpg

On both the headstone and the 'Pensions Papers' his wife is named as Susan, so I am satisfied they relate to the same man, especially given the locality of the address shown in his soldiers documents.

I have ordered the death certificate (Q2 1920) which is within the CWGC parameters.

If the Death Certificate shows that this man died of the same thing that he was discharged from the Army with, should I need to provide any further documentary evidence to support my submission that he should be granted War Graves status and included on the Debt of Honour Register?

Cheers,

Nigel

Terry Denham

Nigel

Assuming the DC says that he died of the same condition, you have all that is required.

Dogflud

Thank you Terry.

I will wait and see, and then report back.

Cheers,

Nigel

Dogflud

The death certificate has arrived and gives two causes of death:

1.) Pneumonia of 14 days duration, and;

2.) Empyema.

Although it is known that both Pneumonia and Empyema can be triggered by Syphilis in the tertiary stage, if the death certificate does not explicitly cite Syphilis as the cause of the two named causes of death, I feel that this application would fail.

Can any members of the IFTC Project advise from their experiences how likely this man is to be accepted for War Graves Status, please?

Many thanks,

Nigel

Terry Denham

Nigel

I would not put the case forward as there is insufficient link in my view.

The cause of death was pneumonia of fourteen days duration - ie originating well after his discharge. There is a possibility that this could have stemmed from his syphilis but you have no actual evidence of that.

This looks like one of many borderline cases where there may be a link but with insufficient evidence to proceed. It does not matter that such conditions could stem from syphilis. You have to be sure that they did stem from his syphilis. All cases handled by IFCP with syphilis as a cause have had the illness listed on the certificate.

That is my take on the case but you may come to a different conclusion.

Dogflud

Thank you Terry.

Your view confirms what I thought.

Cheers,

Nigel