Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Albert Pryde

budedwards

Hello Everyone

What an amazing site you have all put together here.

You should be immensely proud.

I recently visited Northern France and Belgium and was left with a feeling of wanting more information on my great grandfather.

I knew he wasn't buried in France or Belgium but the trip was incredible.

If anyone here has not seen the Last Post Ceremony at Menin Gate i can assure you it is a fitting tribute to the lost.

I have seen that many of you have managed to find very detailed information on lost soldiers and would really welcome the advice on how you did this?

My Great Grandfathers details that i have manged to get so far are thus :

Pryde, F A

Cemetery: Mikra British Cemetery

Area: Kalamaria

Official Number: 359

Unit: 54th Bde. Ammunition Col. Royal Field Artillery.

Force: Army

Nationality: British

Details:

30th November 1918. Age 35. Husband of C. Pryde of 18 Afflick St. Pentonville Rd. Kirlg's Cross London. 782.

I cannot find much information on the 54th Bde Ammunition Col. Royal Field Artillery

It would be amazing to hear from someone else who maybe had a relative in the same

Thanks again

Bud

medal card has date of entry to theatre as Balkans 2B as 13th Oct 1915. Awarded 1915 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal (are these still in the family?). Showns as Acting Bombardier and then Acting Sergeant.

A previous thread with 54 Brigade Ammunition Column mentioned which might be of interest :

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129126

His Date of Birth in St Pancras comes up as 4th Qtr (Oct to Dec) 1885 with marriage to Cecilia Lillian Sooby in 4th Qtr 1905

There is a Public Family Tree on Ancestry claiming him

I presume you realise that he died shortly after the end of the War, probably in one of the many hospitals in Salonika?

That might imply death from disease rather than from wounds, but that's just a guess.

Soldiers Died in the Great War and his Medal Index Card shows his number as 3059, so you might want to advise CWGC of this

Name: Frederick Albert Pryde. Birth Place: St. Pancras, Middx.. Death Date: 30 Nov 1918

Death Location: Salonika. Enlistment Location: London. Rank: Corporal

Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery. Number: 3059

Type of Casualty: Died. Theatre of War: Balkan Theatre

In 1901 Census it looks as if his mother Annie, has remarried to Edward Connor some time prior to 1896, as they have a 5 year old daughter, Katie.

Fred was an errand boy, his elder sister Mabel, was a feather cushion filler.

His younger brother, Frank, b 1890 ish (possibly Driver 55211 Frank G Pryde 42nd Brigade RFA entered France 19 August 1914, thus entitled to the Clasp and Rose of the 1914 Star) and seems to have survived the War.

My god you people are amazing!

How do you find all this out and so fast

The public tree on Ancestry is mine but i had no idea of his siblings :)

I have batted around on Ancestry.com for longer than i can remember and never seem to get what i want :(

@KevinW4, yes myself and my father had suspected disease but were unable to confirm anything

@Jdoyle, unfortunately there are no medals in existence on my side of the family as these may of been passed along another family root many years ago :(

Once again guys im staggered at how much you find out in a short space of time!

Hi Bud, if it's of interest to you there's a photo of your g/g/father's head stone available to purchase from "The War Graves Photographic Project" £3-50 for an emailed copy. good luck with your research,

Regards Keith.

Hi Bud, if it's of interest to you there's a photo of your g/g/father's head stone available to purchase from "The War Graves Photographic Project" £3-50 for an emailed copy. good luck with your research,

Regards Keith.

Hi Keith, i did notice that thanks but unfortunately after sending the request i was told the displayed image is the best one possible :(

The one thing really that eludes me is his reason for passing and i may never know that

medal card has date of entry to theatre as Balkans 2B as 13th Oct 1915. Awarded 1915 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal (are these still in the family?). Showns as Acting Bombardier and then Acting Sergeant.

A previous thread with 54 Brigade Ammunition Column mentioned which might be of interest :

http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=129126

One quick question from a novice, why on the war graves commission site is he listed as Rank : Corporal if he was infact and acting Bombadier and acting Sergeant?

Acting Bombardier would probably have been his rank on entry to a theatre of war, Acting Sergeant the highest rank held during the course of the war, Corporal his substantive rank at the time of his death. I think acting rank may have lapsed on his admission to hospital since he would no longer have been able to carry out the duties which required the additional rank (someone else would probably have been given the extra stripe instead). Or he may have decided himself that extra responsibility was not for him

Hi Bud,you could always request a death cert which may give cause of death in general terms ie Killed in Action,Died of Wounds etc.

Best Wishes,Liam

Thanks all for your excellent help and suggestions.

As a newbie it is a real struggle to know where to find the right and accurate information.

Has anyone put a list together of all the best sites to use?

I notice 90% of the sites require, either credit purchase or subscription :(

I won't get started on my views that the government allows people to profit on the memory and information of the deceased!