Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was St Brocr

Bradford WW1 Group

Reports about the Court Martial of Harry Farr (1st WYR) often seem to compare his treatment with that of an officer named St Brocr. His CO (Col BH Scott, ADMS, 6th Division) described St Brocr as being " . . . simply tired out and wants prolonged change in England among friends - rest in Hospital or Convalescent Home. . . " Col Scott had him sent to hospital in England declaring he was "anaemic and washed out".

Who was St Brocr?

Possibly it's a mistake, as the only 5 Google results for that name are connected to Farr.

Nearest name I could find was Bertram St Ledger Ten Broeke, a Lt in the Dorset Regiment.

Doesn't appear to be a viable English name. A

Possibly it's a mistake, as the only 5 Google results for that name are connected to Farr.

Nearest name I could find was Bertram St Ledger Ten Broeke, a Lt in the Dorset Regiment.

Yes - I looked at Bertram but his MiC and papers don't tally. See them online at: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1219&iid=31238_201506-00067&fn=Betram+Henry&ln=Ten+Broeke&st=r&ssrc=&pid=1964972

The papers indicate that he was born in Simla, enlisted in Ambala in 1915 and served in India as a Sergeant in Duke of Wellington's (later WYR) in Transport Corps - no mention of France. His wife and 2 children are in Ambala (son Ashley Hugh Ten Broeke born 1912). In 1945, age 50, he came to England and is listed on the ship as 'Indian Police'. No family with him but his death is recorded in England in 1962, age 68 and he was listed in phone books in London W8 and SW7 etc . . .

The MiC shows Bertram St Leger Ten Broeke as (going abroad 24.2.15) a Private in KRR and commissioned 8.8.16 in Dorsets . The back of the card gives Cox & Co in Calcutta as the address for medals - strange coincidence!

I agree that St Brocr isn't an 'English' name. Was the spelling wrongly transcribed from someone's handwriting? The medal card had a similar problem - originally giving his name as BROCHE.

Perhaps someone has a list of officers in 6th Division during 1916 - perhaps those close to Col BH Scott ADMS, and can find a similar name to St Brocr?

Would be grateful for any other comments.

Tricia

I suspect i'm only trying the same methods as you, but there was a Captain Alan St Hill Brock (RNVR att Army) who went on to write about fireworks. He was entitled to a star.

One clue is that Julian Putkowski claims that this (obviously thoroughly researched!) officer was sent to hospital in September 1916, so if he had indeed spent a year and a quarter in the trenches, we need someone that was in France from mid 1915 or earlier.

Another possibility is that ST were his initials, or his middle initials. His surname could have been an exotic upper class name, or a mispelling/misreading of something as prosaic as Brock.

I find a number of instances (Listings of scientific papers, genealogical tables, memberships etc etc) where Brocr is a mis print/type/transliteration/reading of Brock. The other most frequent is Bruce. if someone is taking a reference from a hand written document this is very possible. If this is an error of transliteration then St might be Lt. {or S Lt)