Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvt J Lynn VC Lancashire Fusiliers

Amor

Hi,

I will be visiting the Ypres area in a few weeks and was planning to visit the grave/memorial of 1272 Pvt J Lynn VC of the 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers. It is not clear from the CWGC details if he is buried in Grotebeek British Cemetery, as there is no grave reference but a comment which states 'Vlamertinghe Churchyard Memorial'. Can any members confirm where he is buried? If in Vlamertinghe can you tell me which church and its location?

Rgds,

Alex

From the CWGC site, this;

"The cemetery contains 109 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. One grave destroyed by shell fire is now represented by a special memorial, and another special memorial records the name of Pte J. Lynn, VC, who was buried in Vlamertinghe Churchyard but whose grave was similarly destroyed."

Simon.

This has been discussed on the forum before. I don't think it was finally resolved why Lynn's special memorial was placed in Grootebeek Cemetery and not nearer the original burial in Vlamertinghe. Incidentally while the location of Lynn's grave has been lost, the original wooden cross is still in existence.

I would recommend a visit to Grotebeek Cemetery anyway. Not on the usual track for Salient visitors it does not seem to get many visitors but has a lovely layout.

Neil

I visited Grootebeek a few weeks ago, a beautiful cemetery.

Lynn VC is buried there, his is the lone headstone to the right of the cross.

Tim.

post-8939-0-00572400-1310632127.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just to clarify, as the content of some of the posts on this thread is rather ambiguous-John Lynn is NOT actually buried at Grootebeek. The headstone is a Special Memorial, the original grave at Vlamertinghe having been lost. It does confuse a lot of people, probably because Special Memorials are usually placed at the edge of cemeteries to differentiate them. Are there any others similar to Lynn's? I'm still not sure why the memorial was placed here, and not in one of the cemeteries nearer to the original grave site. It is certainly a beautiful spot. As I point out in an earlier post, although the original grave has been lost, the original wooden marker is still in existence.

• 4 months later...

I visited the Lancashire Fusiliers Museum in Bury in July 2011, and also went to the Parish Church to see the original grave marker. It is no longer on display (due to fears of theft), but thanks to Paul Dalton from the Lancashire Fusiliers Museum, I was able to meet one of the Vergers - Flo Leeming, who showed me the grave marker.

post-39439-0-21031100-1328917676.jpg

Would it be very nice to see the marker back on display in time for the 100th anniversary of his death?

I visited the Lancashire Fusiliers Museum in Bury in July 2011, and also went to the Parish Church to see the original grave marker. It is no longer on display (due to fears of theft), but thanks to Paul Dalton from the Lancashire Fusiliers Museum, I was able to meet one of the Vergers - Flo Leeming, who showed me the grave marker.

post-39439-0-21031100-1328917676.jpg

Would it be very nice to see the marker back on display in time for the 100th anniversary of his death?

Excellent information, and a great photograph.

Many thanks for posting it.

LF

• 7 months later...
  • Admin

Visited Grootebeek last Thursday, it is indeed a lovely spot but like everyone else we were puzzled as to why Lynn has a special memorial there.

Michelle

• 1 year later...

As new to ww1 did a search for surnames of maybe relatives.and came up with this soldier vc winner since reading about him I have ordered a t shirt from u.s.a depicting him on his machine gun.